I'm mad as Hell

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, May 16, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I try to be a positive kinda guy, but something happened to me today that severely pi$$ed me off.
    3 of us had gone in on an order for 20 queens, 5, 5 and 10.
    Friend X is someone I know and have helped on numerous occasions due to his advanced years.
    The other guy, Z, I know nothing about other than he knows X.
    X suffered high losses and could not use his 5 so I purchased those. Z had only 3 hives survive so the offer was made on my part to purchase 2 of the queens if he should not need them.
    The queens arrived and I picked up those belonging to me and brought the other 5 to X who was holding them for Z. Again the offer was made to buy any extras Z couldn't use. On 2 occasions he had said he would sell them and twice, right up until last night he recanted.
    Well, at 11 am this morning my friend X calls and say there are 2 queens Z left for me to purchase. I drove up within an hour and was met by my friend X who quickly took the $60 I had in my hand, pocketed it, and then immediately said there seemed to be a problem with one of the queens.
    I guess there was, it was dead!
    I had just been sold a queen that was already dead.
    Now to say that I am pissed of at Z is an understatement, I consider him to be the stuff I scrape off my shoe when I step in it!
    But the disappointment I feel towards X is incredible. All of this happened in less than 30 seconds after I walked in and his reactions told me he knew exactly what was going on. He knew that queen was dead and yet took my money. From Z (someone I don't know) I should expect this from time to time, but from X, is unfathomable.
    I have even agreed to honour a poorly paying pollination contract for him because his losses prevent him from being able to do it.
    I now have the opportunity to fill a contract that pays almost double but I cannot because of my commitment to him.
    I am seriously considering advising him that I will unable to fill his contract and call the whole thing off.
    I am so choked it's not funny! :ranting:

2. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

Z was standing there with your money and you had a dead queen? It would have been Z that would have been choked.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Z was long gone, he left X to do the dirty.

4. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

Karma is a beech, he'll get his. Sorry for nasty people.

5. Crofter

Crofter New Member

PerryBee, if it only cost 60 dollars to get to know what the person is really like, then that is cheap; some people have cost me a great deal more than that, to get to know! People are amazing creatures aren't they?

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

put the dead queen in a hive and give that hive for his pollination it will come back to get him. sorry to hear your pain.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would simply have told him to hand me back 30 dollars. I wasn't buying a dead queen.

Now, I would tell him he dishes out the thirty bucks or you don't do the pollination contract for him and you will tell the farmer why.

8. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Hate that Perry. Some suppliers will make up a dead queen I'm told. Since you bought so many, maybe that's worth a try.

9. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

It's easy to say what one could have done if one was not there. I think you handled it perfectly. Like Crofter said, "you found out what kind of guy he was for thirty bucks." That could be a cheap lesson, as he might have stuck you much worse down the road. As for the pollination contract, you said you would do it. So do it. The fact that he has no honor or integrity does not make an excuse for you to act the same. Your reward may be in Heaven, but you will be rewarded for doing the right thing. I can understand you being mad, but sometimes life's just a bitch.

10. blueblood

blueblood New Member

For you to be upset, I am sure it hurt pretty bad. I am with Iddee and would have dove right in his pocket for the $30. In my honest opinion, I would ditch the contract. Period. Dot. Sorry Perry.

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I'm sorry Perry. It hurts to be betrayed. Perhaps you should let others know about this so that X and/or Z don't screw anyone else.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I'm with Dave, being in law enforcement and seeing what some people do and try to get away with (and do) we hate to see the bad guys win. Your were to nice of a guy Perry. Jack

13. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

I am with Iddee as well. :club:

14. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

You are a better man than me Perry. I don't know if I would have been able to walk away 30$ poorer.
    I guess I would give him the option.
    Tell him that you are disappointed in what has transpired.
    Let him know that you believe that you are owed your money back
    If he cannot/will not pay back the money, explain that you will be unable to carry through with the deal you had with him to pollinate.

15. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

for me the answer is pretty simple: If you agreed with the farmer to do the pollination, then you should do it no matter what. However, if this pollination agreement was just with Snake X, then absolutely leave him out to dry. Don't contact him at all. When he calls in a panic about the pollination, tell him you're one queen short of being able to do it and hang up.

16. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I suppose "Caveat emptor" applies here. In the future, inspect the goods before payment. I would for sure let person X know that I was very unsatisfied with the transaction and let him know that he should refund the money (I'll bet deep down he knows that, too). I certainly hopes it works out for you Perry. You're a class act.

17. Marbees

Marbees Member

It always hurts, sorry Perry. On the other hand, for $30 only, you learned a lot.
    No commitment/obligation of any kind to that person.

18. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

It's a small world, especially the beekeeping world. This guy will very likely want to deal with you again. When he does, simply say: the last time I did a deal with you I felt you were dishonest, and I won't deal with you again.

19. Lburou

Lburou Member

I would think that such actions would release you from your commitment to do the pollination, unless of course, you made the commitment to the landowner. Don't look back. :)

20. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Perry, Reading all the replies just shows how complex a situation you've been pushed into.
    My two bits worth of advice: When the time comes for him to ask for your hives for pollination, remind him of how you got screwed and how you feel about it. Ask him what HE would do in the same circumstances. Before he gives his answer, let him know that your future business relations depend on what he says.
    Abide by his answer, but if you feel he was inconsiderate of your side of the story, draw your conclusions and cut off future dealings with him.
    Perry, you are a man of honor, and your honor can't be sold for $30. :eek:ldtimer: