Im new can you help me!?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by mudlandmin, Dec 1, 2010.

1. mudlandmin

mudlandmin New Member

hi everyone
    my name is mindy i live in central new york and i am a beginner beekeeper. I hope you all can give me some advice so i dont mess up. :beg: i was given an old fashioned extractor, and some other equipment, but i need to buy a hive, bees, veil, and the basics. I found a beginners kit from Rossman Apiaries that comes with 4 supers and i think i will buy that. but if anyone knows a good company or has any good advice i would be grateful to hear from you
    Thanks! :wave:

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Mindy welcome to the forum hope to see you here often. Beekeeping is an exciting hobby or profession depending on your goals. I would suggest doing some research on what you need before you buy a kit. a lot of things come in a kit you may or may not use. I started with a hive body, frames, Foundation, medium supers for honey production, top cover inner cover, screened bottom board, hive tool, veil and 3 nucs. from there I learned what I needed as I became more familiar with bees and keeping them. The best advise i can give is read read read especial the forum to see what others are doing and see if it fits into your plans of how you plan on managing your hives. Good luck and again welcome to the forum

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Hi Mindy, welcome!

you have all winter to read up on things you might need for your first hive next Spring, but one thing you shouldn't put off is ordering your actual bees- they need to be ordered and paid for sometime between Dec and February depending on the supplier. By the end of Feb most places are sold out for their Spring orders. Then the bees get shipped to you in April-may.
    I live in NY too, and I get much of my equipment from Betterbee. Their "economy" model smoker is actually really nice, and has leather bellows, by the way.
    I can suggest to you that you might want to start out with 8 frame size hive boxes rather than the old standard 10 frame boxes. A 10 frame box full of honey can weigh between 60-90 pounds, and believe me this is difficult to lift and move around, especially for us women! I now wish I had started off with 8 frame equip, but hey maybe in the future I will switch over. I did manage to lift my heavy deep brood boxes this fall.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome. You will get a lot of detailed info from others, but I would like to stress 2 points.
    1...Buy the items you need as you need them, not the kits. As stated above, you will get a lot of expensive stuff in the kits you don't need, at least in the first year.

2...Buy 2 hives and the bees to go in them. There are many advantages to having 2 hives going. You can, many times, use one to save the other.

I also recommend having an empty hive sitting around at all times. Someone is going to call and tell you they have a swarm on a low branch, or you will have a swarm from your own hive. It's no fun having no place to put them and just watch them fly away. Especially after you have just spent a couple hundred for bees, then lose the chance for free ones.

5. mudlandmin

mudlandmin New Member

thank you. i have actually been researching bees a lot since early spring and i was obviously a little too late. ive also signed up for a beekeeping class that starts in jan. i like the idea about the two hives. that is probably what i will do. What i was thinking is buying one of the beginners kits because i dont have the hive tool, smoker, viel, feeder or any of that and it comes assembled with the frames and foundation. Then i would buy another hive that was maybe three supers high one deep two medium. Im most afraid of buying the wrong set up for my hive.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

There is really no wrong type of set up for a hive. The bees don't seem to care as long as they have a little room, just think of bee trees and hives in the walls of houses. The hive set up is a personal preference 8 frame vs 10 frame; deeps, mediums and shallows and how they are mixed and matched; solid bottom vs screen bottom; bottom entrance vs top entrance; telescopic covers vs migratory covers, etc, etc. You just have to figure out what works better for you and that could take a couple of seasons. It is not really as difficult as I am trying to make it sound and do not want to scare you off, just trying to say there is no one sure fire set up. The tried and true Lang set up (in any of the combos above) with wood frames and wax foundation is very hard to beat especially for a beginner. Lets get you through the first year of beekeeping first, nothing better than than hands on experience and actually seeing what is happening inside of the hive. Omie started out the year before last and had a bit of bad luck but has come back swinging this year and hopefully can get her bees through the winter, I know I am pulling for her and her bees. I think I am to the point of going with all 8 frame equipment and slowly phasing out the 10 frame stuff since my back is starting to bother me more.

Ask away any questions you may have and good luck with your bees.

Welcome to the forum and hope you will hang around, lots of good knowledgeable folks on here that are willing to help.

7. Murrell

Murrell New Member

If I may;
    As has been said, read as much as you can, check your local library also.
    Try to find a beekeeper in the neighborhood, ask around, you might be surprised.
    Join a bee club if you have on near.

One other thing, I see in your post you mention getting both deeps & mediums.

I say don't do that, pick one or the other !

Murrell

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

my name is mindy i live in central new york and i am a beginner beekeeper. I hope( you all ) :confused: can give me some advice so i dont mess up.

Welcome to the forum Mindy, there's not much i can add to what has been said above. When i read (You All) in your sentence, i knew you would be a quick learner. :thumbsup: Are you sure your from New York. :mrgreen: Jack

9. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Welcome to the forum :wave: Beekeeping is a terribly addictive activity.... just so you can't say we didn't warn ya ;)

You're on the right track for sure. Keep on reading and asking questions.... there are plenty of good folks here that can help you find your answers. I'm with the rest that say not to buy a kit, even though you don't have the smoker, hive tool, veil, etc..... you'll find that you can usually get those things for less without buying a kit. As far as having things already assembled, that's not always the bonus you may think it is and it's good to know how to assemble your own equipment anyway. Also as you start your class and meet other beekeepers you are more likely to find better deals than what you could ever get with a package deal anyway. You'll also be amazed at what can be substituted for some of the items you might think you can't keep bees without. We even met a fella who kept bees for over 5 years before he ever owned a veil, he used a western style hat with a mesh laundry bag over it as a veil and swears that even though he eventually got the real thing he prefers his hat and laundry bag.

I also agree with what Murrell said about going with either deeps or mediums. There isn't really a reason to have multiple size boxes and frames..... the mediums are surely easier to handle and the bees don't seem to care either way. It can also help avoid frustration and some confusion if everything is all the same size too.

Looking forward to reading some more from you!

10. mudlandmin

mudlandmin New Member

thank you guys. i will have to look more into buying suppiles separatly. the cooperative extention near me has a beekeeping class i recently found out about so ive joined them. and yes i am from new york... however i have lots of family in NC.

11. Omie

Omie New Member

Hey, wait a minute! :shock: :box:

12. riverrat

riverrat New Member

lets ask a trick question does she wash or worsh the clothes

13. mudlandmin

mudlandmin New Member

i did the math and yes it was between 10 and 50 dollars cheaper to buy everything individually. at least on betterbees web site

14. mudlandmin

mudlandmin New Member

"lets ask a trick question does she wash or worsh the clothes"

idk how well i am answering your question... but "worsh" isnt southern, its a PA slang for wash.

15. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Them Kansans never could get things right !

. but "worsh" isnt southern, its a PA slang for wash.

Murrell

16. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Mindy, i would read everything i could on beekeeping before your bee school in Jan. and don't be afraid to ask questions on things you don't understand. Old beekeepers love to give advice. :) By the way if you have family members in NC. that are beekeepers,they can probably save you some money on equipment,i've seen some of those people (on beekeeping forums) in NC. working bees in there birthday suite. :lol: Jack

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Now, Jack, I only work them without shirt.

Mindy, in what part of NC does your family live?

18. riverrat

riverrat New Member

:D im pretty sure the wife worshed my clothes then clent the house before I worshed up for supper :thumbsup: :lol:

19. riverrat

riverrat New Member

and oh yes i got a crick that runs by the edge of town and sometimes we get necked and go swimin on hot days. now where was we oh yes mindy glad your doing your math you will be suprised at the people who will worsh the cash right out of yor purse making you think your getting a better deal buying a kit :drinks:

20. mudlandmin

mudlandmin New Member

"Mindy, in what part of NC does your family live?"
    ...my family lives in haywood county right next to ashville. unfortunately none of them keep bees...yet. their all waitin to see how i do at it. im the guniea pig.

at any rate, im glad to see im on the right track so far!