Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering today if my bees are finding much nectar (it seems like a lot of the summer flowers have lost their bloom) but I see a lot of full pollen sacks on the girls coming home... Can I infer that if they are finding pollen then they are finding nectar too?

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
NO. They can many times find pollen when there is no nectar. The only way to tell is by the weight of thehive increasing, or looking inside.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
A good example is Bahia grass where I am at. They will fill their legs with it. It has very little nutritional value and zero nectar.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Checking hives earlier this summer I found one of my hives with very little added honey, but with unusually large amounts of pollen-filled cells. Couldn't figure out what had happened till I discovered a large field of sunflowers about 300 yards from the hive. My conclusion was (no guaranteeing that I'm correct) that sunflowers don't produce much nectar.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
if only nectar was like pollen we would have it whipped

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I have no complaints about the pollen stocks--come spring the bees will use it all on raising new brood. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts