Imirie Shim

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Ray, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray Member

How many of you Beeks have used George Imirie's shim? Do you swear by them or at them?

Taken from:
    http://beehivejournal.blogspot.com/2010/01/imirie-shim.html

George Imirie:
    "The proper use of a shim is as follows: Use with supers of DRAWN COMB only. Put 2 supers over the queen excluder, then add a shim, add a 3rd and a 4th super, then add another shim, add a 5th super, install the inner cover that has an upper entrance made into the edge of it, and top this off with the telescoping cover and a brick..

The shim is 3/4" inch high, and hence its placement is defying the "rules" of BEE SPACE, and bees will build BURR comb on top of frames if the shim is used IMPROPERLY, particularly if it is used in the brood area. If the shim is placed between supers of FOUNDATION, the bees (having no construction blueprints) will build burr comb within the 3/4" inch space of the shim, and "weld" the upper super to the lower super with burr comb as they draw foundation."

"Aid in swarm prevention because it relieves brood chamber congestion from forager bees, and increases honey production because foraging bees can enter and leave the colony via the shim entrances directly into the super area faster than using the bottomboard entrance."

2. Marbees

Marbees Member

I use 1 1/4" shims between brood boxes when treating with formic acid (for a week only)
    Same shims are used to make space for sugar in the winter, and pollen patties in the spring.
    My inner covers/insulation boxes come with the upper entrance built in, so no holes or notches in my shims.
    If bumper crop happens I would be happy to drill some holes in my shims and place them between supers.:smile:

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

tecumseh's stick does the same thing and also limit the burr comb. I make no guarantees that it will or will not limit swarming.:roll:

another snip...
    "Aid in swarm prevention because it relieves brood chamber congestion from forager bees, and increases honey production because foraging bees can enter and leave the colony via the shim entrances directly into the super area faster than using the bottomboard entrance."

tecumseh...
    these kinds of things also assist greatly if you are using a queen excluder whereby the added entry permits the bees to enter the hive and deposit their load without passing thru the queen excluder. if you TOTALLY close off the bottom entrance when you do this then you are essentially recreating the experiement that Jerry Hayes did in his article 'Is a Queen Excluder a Honey Excluder'.