Importation of honeybees and honeybee genetic material

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by barry42001, Jan 23, 2010.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I was still laboring under the impression that on the Federal level, all importation of either honeybees or honeybee genetic material was banned when AHB were accidently released in Brazil. That ONLY limited amounts of genetic material were authorized and ONLY from authorized sources. NO LIVE BEES AT ALL. I knnow Australians are trading partners and friends of the states, but I haven't heard of the lifting of the ban on live bees imports. even though the bees come with queens from Hawaii ( and one assumes that, but why bother with the expense of importing queens from Hawaii, when you can simply load up one locally from your yard, and send it, only if the queens genetics are checked will you be caught, and that highly unlikely since on a federal level inspection services are not exactly stringent or strident. So who exactly knows what we are getting. I only look back and see all the imports we have and wish we didn't--Yellow Jackets--Europe, European Hornets--name speaks for itself, Fire Ants--Brazil, European Starlings--again name speaks for itself, pidgeon--Europe, tracheal mite and varroa mites Asia. Those were accidental imports for the most part. If infact we are allowing the importation of Queenright colonies of Australian bees, then in all probabilities we are also getting Australian Queens with all the genitic hiccups that goes with them, and were doing that on purpose!!!!!!!!!!!
    :confused:
    Barry

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Lets not leave out the Dutch Elm Diease, the Emerald Ash Bore, the Pine Bark Beatle, Gorbs, Asian carp and the list goes on.

Best is to raise your own queens and make up your own colonies with your own hardy stock.

:mrgreen: Al

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

And Tecumseh says don't forget those dad-gum english settlers.... :lol:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

no Iddee actually I was going to suggest that what we call honeybees were all imported at one time or another. of course in the many things of the world we had to take the good with the bad, the long knife invaders came with the bees.

I would also suggest that a good portion of the bee industries capacity to counter the current varroa problem is from genetic stock collected in other places in the world. Buckfast, russians and now Carnolian* all represent genetic stock collected from outside the US of A.

I would think other places in the world (even those without varroa problems currently) would be adding genetic resistance to their own stock ahead of any problem.

*I think I read in one of the more recent bee magazine where one of the female bee scientist (name alludes me now) is now collecting Carnolian stock from Eastern Europe for importation back in this direction.

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I know of all those various genetic stocks, and actually understand whats being done to generate a " better Bee". with that said, the hybded itself is often superior to the original stocks it derived from, but unless you constantly change the old Queen out for new hybred of same genetic mix, the former undisireable traits surface, sometimes in most unpleasant ways. Again I was laboring under the obviously misguided notion that live bee stock and genetic material was banned from importation to prevent , AHB problem from occurring in US proper, now that the real AHB actually arrived quess, that no longer applies. The other thing, since most beekeepers are small buisnesses, and can't afford to artifically inseminate thier Queens, then they are forced to rely on open air matings where thier precious Queens will mate with what ever drones, from whatever colonies are in the area including yours, and perhaps feral bees including AFB drones. Artificial insemination is the ONLY was to get the hybred mix your seeking to maintain, and exclud those nasty traits your trying to eliminate. Anything else is to random and arbitrary. We long-knives have certianly created a situation that we very probably won't fix .
    Barry

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

barry.. I guess some of the question would be in regards to how much control over the genetic material you thought was necessary or essential to obtain desirable ends.

for example I use AI queens which gives me about 50% control over the genetic material. AI queens ain't really cheap but a a price/queen they are quite reasonable. Saturation of an area with desirable drones during the queen rearing season gives me a bit of an edge on the remaining 50%. The migratory folks help in this latter regards since they feed which supports a somewhat large drone population X great numbers.

I do think bee stock still can come in under some federally approved license as appears to be the case currently with Carnolian stock.

and iddee I do quite like english setters... I've seen some of those that made pretty good bird dogs.

7. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

lol woof yo soy nada ingles
    And Tecumseh says don't forget those dad-gum english settlers....
    and iddee I do quite like english setters... I've seen some of those that made pretty good bird dogs. :hunter: :aikido:

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Barry, me too. I've had english setters since 1959, i now have a Reg. Lewellen English setter(sp?) very styiish (high tail). I have gone mostly to the carniolan stock and order queens from different breeders to keep new blood, so to speak. The importation of the Aussie bees worry me the most, because of their non resistance to our mites, and of course the possibility of new diseases they may carry. When their drones mate with our more mite resistant queens,won't that be like taking a step backwards? Jack

9. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

As far as I know, we are allowing the importation of queenright PACKAGES and individual queens. I concur w/ your concern, but what "genitic hiccups" do you see in Australian Queens? Please clarify.

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Jack it seems to me that it would be going in a backward direction, but it could also bring out some unknown hybred vigor in them, only time and testing will tell.

G3