Incompletely Capped Frames?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Crofter, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Crofter

Crofter New Member

What do you do with frames that are 50-65% capped and balance wet.

I dont want to compromise the majority of the extracted honey by too much moisture but want to have the supers off to treat the hives and dont want to lose the window of adequate daytime temperatures. I think it amounts to about 40 frames with a mix of deep and medium.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would check them with a refratometer. If the moister is high and you are wanting to treat You could pull them treat and replace letting the bees pull them down for winter stores

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Do the splash test if you have no refractometer. Of course there is nothing wrong with setting aside uncapped honey and using it for spring time build up stores.

what does 'balance wet' mean?

4. Crofter

Crofter New Member

We decided to give a try to spinning them gently without decapping and it worked well. We dumped that first bit in a separate pail and decide later what to do with it. We then decapped the rest of those partially filled frames and put them through the extractor; just had to watch the balance. Nice to have the honey all in containers and in our house instead of the bees houses!

With a refractometer to properly test we might have gotten away with letting it all go through as it looked fairly as thick as the rest. It was significantly darker though as the recent flow has been strong to golden rod.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks for the progress report. did one batch appear thicker or thinner than the other?

6. Flyman

Flyman New Member

You probably did well to keep the golden rod honey from the rest. Smells like old tennis shoes to me.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

rendered into mead it is a taste you can become fond of and properly marketed might reap you a bonus.... earthy taste with a bold after bite.

8. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I cant really say that it looked much thinner than the capped stuff but was very definitely darker and a bit more aroma too. So far it is in a pail by itself. We could conceivably feed it but that has some cautions about it. We have done so much swapping of equipment and frames and then that honey fight, that I kind of think we are beyond worrying about cross contamination issues that we were kind of pure about at the conception stage. Reality and ideals ~!

9. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Isn't amazing what experience can teach ?

Good Luck
    Murrell