Indiana State Fair

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Aug 9, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I was wondering if any of our Indiana beeks are going down to the State Fair this weekend? My son and I will be down to check out the ISBA booth. Hope to talk to them and get a bit of education as well.

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I hadn't planned on it this year but would like to help IBA next year at the booth. Let me know when you will be down and I will see if I can make it out there. I will be on shift all weekend during the day but may have some time in the evening...

3. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Hi guys, I'll be manning the IBA booth from 9a to 3p on Tuesday Aug 14th.

If either of you ever get the time to do so I would highly recommend it. It is a really good time for fellowship with fellow beekeeps as well as educate the general public and answer their questions.

Jim

4. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

As of right now I am not a member. Maybe soon. With my work schedule I have not been able to go to some of the West Central Indiana Beekeepers Assoc. meetings. So, maybe when work slows down. Too bad you are not working Sat. We could chat. Blueblood, thinking we will be down around noon.

5. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I had planned to go up there, already had vacation set for next week. But as it is , my brother arrives from Afghanistan on Sunday and mom is coming home from the hospital on Monday. So instead of camping in Brown county I will be camping in Spencer county to help mom get adjusted.

6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Just getting home from the fair. Boy! i'm tired! lol. Met some really cool people at the Indiana State Beekeepers Association booths. They took up a large area which I was surprised. Got some great tips, talked to the "big" guys that have a large business. One guy paid $1400 bucks for one queen! WOW!

7. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

I'll go check it out on Thursday. That's AAA day so it's free admission.

Jason

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Wife and I plan on stopping by the fair tomorrow. Using the $2 turkey hill voucher downloaded from fair site. Maybe I will see one of ya there.

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Visited the ISBA booth today. A nice gentleman was quick to speak with me and my wife and offer free samples and knowledge about honey. I introduced myself and said I was a member of the forums. His eyes lit up and he said he was too. I said I was blueblood and he promptly said he was Indypartridge. Ha, pretty cool! First person I have met in person from the forums.

Kudos to you Indy! On the other hand, I was quickly dismayed by the adjoining booth from a large honey bee farm. I asked them a really simple question about some of their product and the older couple looked at me like I had corn growing out of my ears. Maybe a little hair, but no corn. They said they did not know anything about bees and that they were just there to sale the items. WHAT! If ya own the business and can't be there, at least have someone that is somewhat knowledgeable about bees, and FRIENDLY...geez o' petey people. I probably will pass on buying anything from them in the future.

However, my bee spirit returned quickly upon seeing the displays of honey and ribbons along with the several poster board projects concerning bees and keeping around the corner by the 1000+ pound pumpkins. Good stuff!

10. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I had to wait till the owner got over to help me. I'm thinking he just needed people to fill in on the long days and the several weeks they were there. Once he came he help a lot. So, what did Indy look like? I never said I was part of the forum. I talked to an older gentleman that spoke quietly. Too bad we all couldn't met.

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Clearly it wasn't me then! (quietly) :lol:

I second that thought! :thumbsup:

12. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Perry, you are not old....just mature....and besides, 50's are the new 30's...right?

13. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

So glad to have met you! And with the double pleasure of seeing BoilerJim as well in the IBA booth. It's always such fun working at the State Fair and getting to talk about bees & honey all day long.

That's a problem for someone who runs a substantial sideline business while holding down a "real" job. For the two Associations, it's difficult to find enough people to staff the booths for the run of the Fair, especially since they added the 3rd week a few years back. For someone like Tracy Hunter, who is relying on friends and family, it's an enormous challenge. It's important for him to have a booth at the Fair to promote his business, but at the same time, as you noted, it can have a negative impact.

14. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

My beard is the same color as Perry's but I keep it trimmed short. And I have glasses. (I'm not nearly as handsome as Perry!)

15. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I agree. I thought this would certainly be a full time venture for him considering how big of an operation it is.

Perry will get a kick out of your comparison when he sees this, ha!

16. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

If my son wasn't going back to school I would have met all of you down there! Stinks!

17. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Pencil in Oct 27th. The Indiana State Beekeepers will be having their Fall Conference in Danville (just west of Indy).

18. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Hopefully my schedule will allow for me to attend. Maybe we could have a meal at the Mayberry Cafe before or after the event. If you haven't been there, it's a neat little place to visit and eat. I am biased though, huge Mayberry show fan.