Inner cover question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by rw02kr43, Jun 11, 2012.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

I know this is very basic. I searched and it seems there are many opinions. When using the inner cover, does the notch go in the front or the back? and up or down?

thanks
    Jason

2. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Under normal circumstances, the notch is towards the front. My boards have "up" stamped on them and it advises that the bees have to go through the hole in the middle of the inner cover to get out the notch.

I do it both ways.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

my inner cover notch goes down in the front, and i also notch my inner covers out wider.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My inner covers don't have notches.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Inner covers hold heat in, so I don't use them. I use migratory covers (build my own) with a hole drilled for a jar feeder in the center, and screening under that.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

I do the same.

7. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

My inner cover has no notch either.
    Would it be "bad form" to just put some small wedges of shingle under the edge of the inner cover to lift up the outer cover to make an upper entrance?

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The forum had a good time last year bantering around Tecumseh's "patented" invention. He uses a round stick to raise the roof a bit so as to increase ventilation and produce an upper entrance. Since his invention is patented, I guess you would do best to take out your own patent for small wedges of shingle. :thumbsup:
    What won't those ingenious beekeepers come up with next?

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

gypsy said:
    "Inner covers hold heat in, so I don't use them. I use migratory covers (build my own) with a hole drilled for a jar feeder in the center, and screening under that."

gypsy, sometimes holding heat in is a good thing, especially for us northerners. during the summer months i use a vent box on top my hives for better ventilation.

papa keith says:
    "My inner cover has no notch either.
    Would it be "bad form" to just put some small wedges of shingle under the edge of the inner cover to lift up the outer cover to make an upper entrance?
    "

pk, cut one out! or as ef said "I guess you would do best to take out your own patent for small wedges of shingle. What won't those ingenious beekeepers come up with next? "

bad form is only if it doesn't work :lol:

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Front and down. :grin: