Inner Covers "Stuck"

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Fredo Batali, May 9, 2010.

1. Fredo Batali

Fredo Batali New Member

This is my first bee keeping venture and I have a problem. I put my packages in about 3-4 weeks ago and the weather here has been cold and wet almost ever since. I checked the hives after the first 24 hours, the first three days and after the second week. All was well and the colony is looks really good. Today is beautilul temp in the high 60's and I checked my hives. The inner covers were stuck to the frames with comb. One was relatively easy to remove, however the other is picking up a couple of frames when I try to pry it up with my hive tool. I don't want to risk damaging my queen. How should I proceed? Should I just pry the covers off and remove the comb or what do I do?? Thanks in advance. :confused:

De Oppresso Liber

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Lift the inner cover a half inch, just enough to slip the hive tool between it and the top of a frame. Pry the frame downward to separate. Repeat with each frame that is stuck.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

then remove the burr comb that is likely attached to the inner cover and the top of the frames with your hive tool.

sounds like if the hive is rapidly building comb there you will likely need another box very soon.

I would assume given your description of weather that you have been feeding some?

4. Fredo Batali

Fredo Batali New Member

Yes, I have been feeding. They seem to go through a quart of syrup in about a day and a half. I have Boardman feeders on the hives so I can't really tell if the syrup is being robbed or not. The fellow next door has a couple of hives on his place. They are about 600 yards from me. My hives seem to be thriving so I don't think that's happening. The bees seem to be using just a couple frames as the other frames have no comb drawn out on them yet??? I appreciate all the help so far. I plan to join my local beekeeping club shortly so I can get up to speed.

De Oppresso Liber

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

given your description of the weather if you had not been feeding this package would now have likely been dead, given your description of the weather and the fact this new hive began as a package a pollen patty would have likely been a good addition.

all in all and given the circumstance sound like they are doing quite nicely.

bee math says that about 30 days after the installation of the package the first wave of brood should emerge and the hive should grow quite quickly after that.

and good luck...

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

usually when they build comb like you discribed usually they are needing more room i would add another deep or a super if you are 2 deep

7. jajtiii

jajtiii New Member

make sure to put the inner cover on with the spacing pointed up. the board will be almost touching the tops of the frames.