Insane day!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by afterburn001, Sep 4, 2011.

1. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

We had the opportunity to by a nuc last night (Italians). I have been watching these new guys all day. The new hive had about a pound to pound and half of bees. We installed a frame of brood only(no nurse bees) from each of the other two hives (one Russian hive, one Italian hive). After a while I went out to look and I saw a lot of activity. Yup, the Russians were flying around, going in and out. It looked like an invasion! I though Oh ho! I saw some fighting but after the whole day I see only 8 or 9 bodies on the ground. To me it looks like some of the Russians adopted the new hive and are getting along with the Italians. If so, we went from 2 healthy hives and one nuc to three healthy hives in one day! lol

This is our first year. Does this sound like normal activity or do I need to worry?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think you had a robbing party and by tomorrow night you will have two healthy hives and a dead nuc.

Watch for robbing tomorrow morning and put a stop to it quick if it isn't already too late.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Hi Mark,
    I didn't completely follow just what you did----were the frames of brood you added to the nuc open, sealed or emerging brood? Was the fighting you saw from among the bees inside the hive or from bees from the other hives trying to rob?
    Normally, frames of sealed or soon-to-be-emerging brood are accepted with no reservations. My gut feeling is that the fighting you saw was from attempted robbers and the nuc held its own. But I could be way off the mark.
    The main thing is that you got yourself another hive. Be sure to restrict the hive entrances so that defense of the hives is not beyond their ability. Now make sure that they get enough reserves to handle the winter (If 98524 is located in Washington, how cold does your winter get? How long does it last?)

4. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

The brood was sealed and the fighting did look like robbing attempts. The hive entrance is restricted, about an inch and a half entrance. The winters where we are mild.

If they did manage to kill the nuc should be put the capped brood back in the original boxes or will that cause more problems?

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sometime I think when you add a new hive or nuc to a yard the other bees locate it fairly quickly and begin to test the moat and the wall to see if there is anywhere the defenses can be breached. if initially they are unsuccessful the military excursion ends and that's that. if not, typically within 24 hours the new castle on the hill has been properly looted and plundered.

a small number of bees on the ground I would say you have good chances the nuc has survived. I hope the above comments suggest to you why equipment you place a nuc in needs to be very tight.

if the nuc failed, then yes I would return anything useful to the old hives fairly quickly (primarily to reduce the chance of damage from wax moth, shb, mice and such).

6. Murrell

Murrell New Member

As I always yell and scream !! " Were is your robber screen ? "

I believe this is one of the first simple pieces of equiptment a beekeeper should have.

May bee not 100 % perfect, but I guarentee a big big help !

[​IMG]

Murrell

7. guyross

guyross New Member

I would like to see the robber screen installed.

8. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Don't have a pic of it installed;

You are looking at the side that goes against the hive the bees come thru the reduced opening on the hive which you should have had, into the indentation on the bottom which you can see, they climb up the screen out the top and fly, fly away. It takes them a while on their return home to find the top entrance but usually by days end they have it. The robbers are at the bottom smelling the odor of honey coming thru that small opening, after a couple of day with just honey smells but no taste they leave for better pickins.
    This is covered in most Beekeeping Books.

Duct tape does a marvelous job of holding screen to hive.

Good Luck
    Murrell

9. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Update:
    I am finding this whole possess very intriguing.

I locked everyone in last night. The reduced robber screen of my own design was installed early this morning. While I was at work my wife popped the top and it was full of bees. She found the queen and everyone looked happy. The have already started building new comb on the new frames I put in, the foragers are foraging and have already found a pollen source. I just looked and I see no sighs of robbing behavior or fighting. One big happy family!

10. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

So you now have 3 viable colonies?

11. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Yes indeed! :yahoo:

12. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Robber screens work miracles. Congratulations..