Inspecting dead-outs, found some issues maybe

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by melrose, Mar 16, 2012.

1. melrose

melrose New Member

OK, the daughter and I went back out while the weather was cool. All the bees previously seen were robbing.... all the hives are empty. I pulled some frames and took some pics, maybe some one can help me out.

IMG_2894.jpg IMG_2893.jpg
    Notice the bee on the right? Any idea of the cause, I didn't see more like this, she just caught my eye.

IMG_2899.jpg IMG_2904.jpg
    This looks like dysentery, those frames are full of honey, med. - is this honey still good to spin? How should I handle the whole hive, simply disinfect (bleach/water)?

And lastly, I've noticed what looks like white crystalline matter in the the open cells, see below

IMG_2897.jpg IMG_2895.jpg

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

#1 looks like she was fighting while robbing, sometimes they lose a lot of their hair that way.

#2 looks like nosema on the sides of the box , and maybe a mouse on the tops of the frames.

#3 honey that has crystallized, they will not rob it out.

3. RayMarler

RayMarler New Member

Look closer at that white crystalline matter in the cells. Are those old brood cells? Looks like a brood pattern to the cells of matter to me...

Heavy varroa mite loads in the fall into winter can weaken the bees and reduce the cluster so that they have trouble keeping warm and large enough thru winter. The signs of it are white crystal looking matter in the spent brood cells, which are varroa mite feces.

Looking as closely as I could at the pics, I could not determine myself what it might be, honey crystals or mite feces. So take a closer look and see what you think?

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

much like people, older bees just loose their hair. a bee may start out all fuzzy but near the end they appear almost hairless. the older variety is also the one's most likely to engage in robbing behavior.

although Ray makes a good point in the relationship between heavy varroa infestation and their fecal matter (difficult but not impossible to see in hives that perishes from varroa) the picture gives me the impression of way to much quantity of stuff to make me suspect varroa. <the point to be made here is that a lot of bee keepers who want to know why a hive can perish should come to recognize this sign... the signs of varroa fecal matter are small but not invisible and typically somewhat clustered in patches of cells.

notice that what appears to be fecal matter seem to be primarily on one side of the box and down one wall only... suggesting (at least for me) that the bees were trapped on that side of the box for quite some time.

some of the remaining stuff in the comb in the pictures looks more like pollen than anything else.

5. melrose

melrose New Member

Good point on the matter of mite droppings, but these cells have fluid in them, (nectar?)
    I'm thinking of getting into them again today, hopefully getting some more close-up pictures.

thanks for the comments

6. RayMarler

RayMarler New Member

Yes, sounds like it is not varroa feces, but just brought it up as I could not see for sure exactly what I was looking at. I agree with Tec that it looks like too much matter for varroa feces.