inspection, 007 style.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jul 15, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Took a moment yesterday to check on the cut-out hive I put in backyard for some folks eager to learn about bees.
    After I had moved it there I left it alone for a couple of weeks. On our first exam (host mother and daughter in attendance) I noticed 3 frames of beautiful capped brood and larvae, all in text book position but with the sudden appearance of emergency or supercedure cells having been started (they were loaded). I could not find the queen or any eggs, and yet I knew she had survived the trip because of all the brood.
    Oh well. So yesterday I decided to have a peak inside and see how things were progressing.
    It was fun. I first noticed one of the frames had queen cells that had been chewed through the sides. OK, I know what that means. Next frame same thing. I figure sooner or later I have to find a cell with the bottom opened up (I hope or......?). Sure enough, next frame has 2 cells on it, one open on the bottom, one chewed through the side. Aha!
    I got to the last frame and started going back through the frames looking for her. Sure enough I found her but only because she was running around so much. She was absolutely no bigger than a worker with her abdomen no longer than a regular bee but no mistaking it, she was a queen. I was lucky to spot her, the difference was so slight.
    It is always fun when you find clues to a story and you follow them and find out that sometimes....................................you are right.:lol:

2. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Congratulations. the only cut out I have done so far, I was also lucky to find a small queen. Just happened to scoop her up when I picked up a hand full of bee to put in the box. Tom