Inspection observaton for Florida

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Americasbeekeeper, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

In almost every hive I have inspected from Marion County north to the Georgia border there are signs of swarm preparation. Don't be afraid to check when the weather is even close to good. You may be surprised how much pollen and honey they are bringing in or have brought in recently also. The drone pupa we pulled had minimal mites too.

2. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Great advice indeed, Gary! I was forced to do splits in December, and the split hive is almost fully drawn already, and lots of nice brood. A couple swarm calls the last couple weeks, too! I know we are a bit earlier here, but not that much! Looks like a great year ahead as long as the rainy season kicks in when it should. Thanks for the reminder!

3. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

It's just not fair. I'm just waiting for a break in the weather in order to heft my hives.

Bah ! Humbug !! :frustrated:

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

What a good break you Florida beekeepers are getting with Gary volunteering his knowledge and informtion through the forum. :thumbsup:
    America's beekeeper is a really apropriate name you chose Gary. :grin:

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

definitely what efmesch said.... I hope the florida beekeeper understand what a treasure someone like Americasbeekeeper represents?

6. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

ABSOLUTELY!!! At least this beekeeper does!!! An amazing resource! Florida Apiary division really has some great folks at the helm now!

Thanks again for being here ABK! It truly is appreciated! :thumbsup:

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

my hives are all booming with brood, but with so little rain they are not hauling in much it seems, Im seeing resources dwindling and Im starting to worry about starvation, I also have drone brood in alot of the hives and also drones, I dont think the girls ever kicked the guys out this year.

8. Americasbeekeeper

I saw more of the same today. They are making splits and plans to extract in North Central Florida. I had a large commercial queen producer today that first did not want an inspection in the cold and called back when it warmed up in an hour. I would have been there after it warmed in the first place. Usually we are weeks behind South Florida but not this year.

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Florida beekeepers are not the only one that benefit from Gary being actively involved on this site. I have learned from the Information that Gary posts on a regular basses. It keeps us informed of new studies and research being done and incite into government policies and the reasoning behind them.

10. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

my hive inspections on the Feb 26th, hope the girls are pulling comb and bringing in the goods by then.

11. jb63

jb63 New Member

Yes Gary thx. for being on this forum,we all appreciate your input.:thumbsup:

12. Americasbeekeeper

Thank you all. Florida Bee College is coming quickly and they have asked for nominations for Master Beekeeper Beekeeper of the Year. Would you mind emailing Jeanette, Klopchin, [email protected] and nominate me for the Master level master Beekeeper of the Year. It would not hurt to bombard her with one submission each. Thank you.