Inspection Suprise

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by kebee, Mar 29, 2013.

1. kebee

kebee Active Member

Got to 72 today so I went into the only hive I have and did an inspection of it. Took the sugar I had put on about 2 mounths ago and they had not took much of it even though they were all over it. Put new feeder on and poured in a gallon af sugar water. Made up 4 gallons of it today.Looking to see if any honey I had left for them was still around and it was all gone and looking more the comb didn't look right, so took afew bars out and even the comb had been chew down, do bees move comb or eat it had not heard of this before. I do know now how much honey now to leave a strong hive at lease 2 full supers of honey. I looked for mothes and saw none or signs of them. With the amount of bees in the hive I don't think there would have been room for them anyway.

I am picking my 2 packages of bees up Tuesday and we are suppose to be getting a rain storm that day. If it is raining bad will it hurt to leave until the next day even though we have a change of rain the next day, should I spray them with water. I am picking up a queen for my split I was going to make of the strong hive and don't know what to do with her until I can with no rain.

I have an big pool type unbrella that I am going to set up in case I need it and if it not raining to hard.
    I am going to pick up an ulta breeze suit and vell also, I was out only an hour or little more and only 72 degrees and I was sweating to no end, will not be able to take it this summer with the suit I have.
    Have a good Day I did.

kebee

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If it is raining you should be OK for a day with the packages.
    As far as the queen, I've kept them in our kitchen cupboard for a couple days before with no problem.
    (scared the beegeebers out of my wife every time she opened the cupboard door though!) :lol:

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Do you have to spray them or give them syurp while keeping them captive?

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

With a queen in a cage I just wet my finger and drag it across the screen a couple times a day.
    I've never installed a package but from what I understand you would just mist them if it's hot, or keep them in a cool, dark place.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

kebee what perry said about a caged queen and packages.....
    "With a queen in a cage I just wet my finger and drag it across the screen a couple times a day.
    I've never installed a package but from what I understand you would just mist them if it's hot, or keep them in a cool, dark place.
    "

mist the package very lightly kebee, or you can accomplish giving them water by employing the same method as a queen cage......dipping your finger in water and swiping it across the screen on the package several times. your queen and packages will be fine until the next day. just give them a little water as described. if you suspect the sugar can is empty on the package, just a swipe across the screen of some sugar syrup, but for a one day delay, you probably do not need to be concerned about this.
    *i always very lightly, mist a package with water up here after picking them up from the post office, and might repeat until i get them hived.

"and looking more the comb didn't look right, so took afew bars out and even the comb had been chew down, do bees move comb or eat it had not heard of this before."

yes kebee, bees will move wax.
    don't you worry too much about a one day delay for your new queen and packages kebee, bees are hardy. they will do just fine, just give them a little water. with our unpredictable weather up here i have kept queens and packages for more than one day until i could hive them.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I mix 1 to 1 sugar water and spray the package screen. It gives them both food and water.
    The queen will be fine as long as the attendants are alive.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"I mix 1 to 1 sugar water and spray the package screen. It gives them both food and water.
    The queen will be fine as long as the attendants are alive."

:thumbsup: what iddee said kebee.......

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

At times extra queens come in the packages, the extra queens are shipped to replace queens that are lost die. and there will be 2 queens in a package with no attendances. If this is the case leave both queen in the package so the bees can look after them.

9. kebee

kebee Active Member

Well now the weather man have change their mind no rain Tuesday, yephee, if only it stays that way. I know you really don't know the weather until the day it happens. We will see, thanks all on the good advice, I am set ether way.

Kebee

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

To make the splitting of the hive easier, if you inserted a queen excluder between the brood chambers today, by tuesday you would not have to find the queen but only look for the presents of eggs to know which super the queen is in. If you have a hard time finding the queen in the hive.

11. kebee

kebee Active Member

Now I am madder than an old wet hen, the place sent an email today saying it will be the following Tuesday before they have them, this is the second time they have delayed on getting them, saying the weather beging to cold for them to have them, where in the heck are they getting them from Canada! Our bee club got their bees last week, will get from them from now on.

I even got my hives ready with frams spayed with bp to keep the moths out and off of frams. The girls didn't like me being around them today got stung on the finger and right below my right eye, they may have remember me from yesterday. My finger is swelling but the place where she got me below the eye is not, glad of that. Dang!

kebee

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Now I am madder than an old wet hen, the place sent an email today saying it will be the following Tuesday before they have them...."

:lol:

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I doubt it, we aren't getting any for a while yet! :shock: :lol:

14. kebee

kebee Active Member

Called the supplier and I can pick up my bees tommorrow, hu ray, happy as can bee. Going to be a great day to do it also, sun and 86 degrees as high they say, may be 79 here already today. Picking up an ultabrezz bee suit while I am there also. It will be late when I get them in but promise some pictures.

kebee

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

And you're gonna love the suit, especially on those unbearably hot days. :thumbsup:

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""I even got my hives ready with frams spayed with bp to keep the moths out and off of frams.""

Does gasoline work as well or better then BT? :rolling::rolling:

17. kebee

kebee Active Member

Got me on that one Iddee. :lol:

kebee

18. kebee

kebee Active Member

Ok I picked up my two packages of bees today, left this morning at 5:30 and got back home at 2:30. Pick up an ultabreez bee jacket. It got up to 88 degrees here and I still sweated bad, don't think it helped that much, anyway installed the bees and will take the boxes out in the morning. I got a queen also for the split but going to do that in the morning also, so wore out forgot the pictures. Will get some tomorrow. Oh yes the queens are marked even in the packages, now maybe I can spot her. Supose to rain here Thursday and Friday so will check if queens have been release on Saturday.

Kebee

19. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Let's hope the weather doesn't get severe this week.

20. kebee

kebee Active Member

Yes Slowmoden, I hope it is nothing but rain. 001.jpg 006.jpg 011.jpg 014.jpg 015.jpg 020.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg I took the empty boxes of of the hives today of the packages which was no problem, but I don't think I will ever make a split again. This old guy is wore completed out from this today. The queen is laying so much that there were drone larva in between the frames of the hive. I took the top super and put it on the split for it had some honey in the combs. They had just about have the one super I left on the old hive full of honey and it was only a couply weeks ago and they had very little, and I mean very little.I may have mess up splitting this hive, could have been a great honey maker for me.

I put a screen on the split hive and took her a good 100yds or more away, I am waiting until mornig to take screen out, is that about right, I heard 24 hours. how many days should I wait to start moving her back to hive stand, and can I move her more than 4 ft each day I just hope this new queen is as good as the one I split from.

Oh another question, since I took a super off the old hive should I put an another one on soon, say tomorrow since the one I left is about full of honey, I will add one. Real Tired.

kebee