Joe and his wife and his wife's mother came out to my place to inspect my hives so that I can (legally) move them around within the state. Had one dead-out which was the one that had the laying worker in it. and a couple of hives that needed to be fed, but apart from that, the bees looked good and had no signs of any diseases. The one that I thought was going to get slimed hasn't and there were fewer beetles today, though none were in the beetle eater... and he showed me why the beetles were in there as much as they were... the debris on the bottom board was where they were gestating. So we cleaned that out and smashed a few beetles then put some feed on those bees to get them building up better... the queen was a layin' in that hive with a great pattern... and had two other hives with absolutely stellar laying patterns. So that's good... I'm happy, and I learned a bit, mostly that I need to feed more, and what the early stages of starvation look like, and what to do about comb being built too wide.