Inspection today

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Joe and his wife and his wife's mother came out to my place to inspect my hives so that I can (legally) move them around within the state. Had one dead-out which was the one that had the laying worker in it. and a couple of hives that needed to be fed, but apart from that, the bees looked good and had no signs of any diseases. The one that I thought was going to get slimed hasn't and there were fewer beetles today, though none were in the beetle eater... and he showed me why the beetles were in there as much as they were... the debris on the bottom board was where they were gestating. So we cleaned that out and smashed a few beetles then put some feed on those bees to get them building up better... the queen was a layin' in that hive with a great pattern... and had two other hives with absolutely stellar laying patterns. So that's good... I'm happy, and I learned a bit, mostly that I need to feed more, and what the early stages of starvation look like, and what to do about comb being built too wide.

2. rast

rast New Member

OK Ben, that's a new one on me. Learn me something :) .

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

me too I want to learn something!!

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

He said to move it to the outside because on the outside that wide comb has nothing to catch on... plus they won't lay any more brood in it, once clear from brood you can use the uncapping knife to straighten it out. He also said that if you push the frames together on the inside and leave your gaps on the outside they won't do that in the first place.