Inspection

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Feb 18, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Temp. got to 70F yesterday :thumbsup: . Checked the bee yard here at home for stores and activity, don't have aclue what the bright yellow pollen is they were bringing in.(nothing blooming or budding out)I noticed two hives with alot of activity almost like a flow was going on.They were good strong hives and i wasn't worried about them till i stood and watched for a moment, no fighting but not one bee was bringing in pollen like the others? I broke them down and found they were both deadouts :eek: ,They both still had 40 lbs or more stores and lots of dead bees on the bottomboard and some small patches of bees on the frames. One hive i think was killed by condensation (they felt wet on the bottomboard) we just came through 12 inches of blowing snow and minus 10 below weather.That makes three out of 24 hives lost so far this year here at home, and i haven't checked the yards up north yet, to muddy to get to them. :confused: Jack

2. rast

rast New Member

I am sorry about your losses, but that was a good catch. A lot of beekeepers would have just walked on by feeling good about the bees coming and going.

3. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Jack if you don't already have a pollen guide, check out
    wikipedia pollen source as it gives a color guide /flora and dates. Also check the same for your state, I found one for Oklahoma put out by one of the universities that gives plant/pollen color and approx date. Jim

4. Murrell

Murrell New Member

My Allergy/Pollen guide today say;
    Cedar & Juniper
    For South/Central Mo.

Murrell

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Bsweet, thanks for the link on pollen. I found out what kind of pollen they were getting,at least some of it, it's off the weepingwillow tree by the pond :thumbsup: .The next things to bud in my area will be the Maples,Pussywillow, and Bradford Pear's. The only thing that might hold them up is the 30 inches of snow that the Farmers Almanac predicts for March. :beg: Jack

6. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

No more snow.. no more snow.. :) think repeating my mantra will work?

7. Greenb3tree

Greenb3tree New Member

Now, now don't wish for what you can't have. Don't think "No more snow!" Think "Not too much more snow!" :lol: On the other hand, I suppose that if you are going to wish, that you might as well wish big!.

JC

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I cleaned the two deadout hives up today. Between the two of them there was close to a hundred pounds of honey left. I still think condensation killed the one, but the other one has me stuped :confused: . There was five frames(deeps) of bees that covered over half the frames on bouth sides, piled on top of each other and the ones on the bottom were head first in the frames (sign of starvation) with honey within an inch of them. They had a full 40 lb. super above them,and when i went through it guess what i found on a frame of honey? The queen? by her self and still alive (barely), not another live bee,how you figure :confused: Well i didn't want to but did, i put her out of her misery.This was a big cluster with at least fifty pounds of honey still on, and they starved to death. Jack

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

A question i ment to ask, the honey i'm storing from the deadouts to feed needy hives. I sprayed it with Bt Aizawai,was it alright to do that? I should of ask before i done it. :confused: Jack

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It is fine for the bees, and fine for you, too, if you want it. The BT is harmless.

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks Iddee, you mean i could eat the honey if i wanted too. :confused: Jack

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes. If you buy cabbage at the store, it most likely has bt on it. It works for cabbage loopers, too.