Inspection

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Flyman, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Flyman

Flyman New Member

Looked at about 20 hives yesterday and was surprised to see the state of development. Overwintered Nucs had at least 3 frames of capped brood and bigger hives had 4 to 7 frames of brood.

The problem is they are quickly converting their stores to brood. If it really gets cold, its going to be bad. Bees look like they are a month ahead of any other year I can remember.

The upside is we have had a lot of rain and the soil moisture is good. May have a lot of bees for the spring bloom.....lots of honey :clap:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sounds like you have things well under control. :thumbsup:

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Be prepared to feed them if they run short of supplies. Don't let them starve by running too far ahead of the season. It happened to me once and I lost my strongest hive to starvation during an extended cold, rainy snap. I almost cried when I found them all dead when the weather cleared.

4. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

As a slight diversion ---- anyone had experience of emergency feeding using the wet granulated sugar bag ? I may need it.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Want to keep this thread on its original topic but here you go barbarian this looks like something Im going to try in the future. Might be an option for you viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5499

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it looks about the same here Tom. with the rain and too warm and too early temperatures everything looks about a month early. today the girls are bring in bright yellow pollen and I suspect some nectar. the spring beauties have some lawns dusted white.