Inspection

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Apr 30, 2013.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Went out today to check on my new packages and see if the queen is laying. Seen queen in 4 hives. About 1 frame of brood. My one package that I mentioned in another post that seems to have more bees due to drifting does not have a queen. No brood whatsoever! Seen one small open cup in the middle of a foundation. Should i leave them be to make a new queen or what?

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if you started from package bees and you have only one queen cell cup (of which you don't really know the origin) there is little possibility that this unit will be capable of ever producing a viable queen. I would likely combine these bees with another using news paper to combine.

however usually if you have no queen the bees will almost always drift to another hive.. which really makes me wonder if you do or do not have a queen or a virgin queen in that particular box. <a virgin queen inadvertently added to a package is really a joker of sorts in that with that female in the package the workers do stand the chance of not accepting the queen in the introduction cage and the virgin may have been confined long enough to never really fly and be mated on her own (or at least not to be properly mated).

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

To add to what Tec said, I would suggest taking a frame with eggs, minus bees, and place in that hive for 5 days. Then check that frame for queen cells. If none are found, look for other eggs. The queen may be laying by then.