Inspections today.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Found one hive with swarm cells. Big healthy hive. I found the queen. I took the queen and a couple frames of brood, frame of honey and a fame of pollen and put them in a nuc, with a lot of bees. Inserted some foundation in the brood boxes. Should I go ahead and put her in a deep since she is a laying queen. AND shouldn't this keep the parent hive from swarming? I hope?

Found another one with swarm cells but could not find queen. I did pull a frame that had several capped queen cells and started a nuc.

This one has me puzzled.
    I combined a swarm and a queenless nuc about 2 weeks ago. They are in a 10 frame deep, the queen is laying great, but I found 2 different frames with 2 to 4 capped queen cells on each frame. Did see lots of small larva and capped brood. They still have a lot of room. I did not see queen tonight. Gonna look again, but I kinda want to split this into 2 nucs now, with a frame of Q cells in each nuc. I don't know why they have so many queen cells.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

# 1 - The first hive you did exactly what I would have. :thumbsup:
    # 2 - The reason you couldn't find the queen is because she has probably already left.

3. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

PerryBee +1 :thumbsup:

You saw larvae & brood.....any eggs? I think PerryBee nailed it.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I looked through this hive that has swarm cells again. I can not find the queen. If they swarmed they didn't take many bees with them. Still a lot of bees and a lot of brood.

I hope they have swarmed because if so, they will still make honey I think.

Without laying my eyes on the queen, there is nothing I can do, is there?

What would happen if I split the 2 boxes with queen cell frames in each box?

5. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

You sure they are swarm cells, and just not emergency cells? They may just be trying to re-queen??? Hate to see you split them again if you are looking for productivity, but I only know enough to plead ignorance....:wink:

6. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I'm with ya. It is still a plenty big colony if they stay the way they are.
    These cells are almost all hanging from the bottom of the frames.

I found a interesting pdf on preventing swarms but i don't know how to post a pdf.

7. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

What if I did this.

Put the a couple of the frames with capped queen cells in a nuc box. Then remove all the queen cells from the big colony.

Then wait for a few days and see what happens. If they have already swarmed then they would be queenless. If so, I could combine the nuc back with the colony.

Just thinking out loud.