Installed my mouse guards

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by bamabww, Nov 8, 2011.

1. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Over the weekend. I turned one opposite the other to see if it made any difference with the bees. I couldn't tell it made any difference with the bees entering or leaving the hive except for one hive has to crawl over and the other can walk straight in.
    The openings in the squares are under 3/8 inch; too small for mice (I think) and big enough for the bees.

[attachment=0:3eofq203]PB059331.JPG[/attachment:3eofq203]
    [attachment=1:3eofq203]PB059327.JPG[/attachment:3eofq203]

Attached Files:

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Looks like a keeper. :thumbsup:

Walt

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

What is that yellow substance or object?

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Looks good! :)

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Looks like half inch hardware cloth, painted, pointy edges down. I can do that. I also have those nifty nail plates used for deck and roof work, kinda thought that pointy side up on the platform might not bother the bees, but might deter predators. Thoughts?

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Wayne,
    To me it looks like plastic "screening" and if i'm correct, could it really be a deterrent for a determined nibbly mouse?
    Do you use entrance reducers during the winter?
    Are those packets of pollen that got knocked off the bees legs?

7. Gypsi

Wouldn't real half inch hardware cloth work as a mouse deterrent - and allow bees in and out? Would there be a problem from using it?

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I see no reason why METAL hardware cloth shouldn't be effective against mice. But I wonder if it won't end up knocking off too much pollen that the bees collect. I believe that it's such a material that's used on pollen traps. The bees have to go through the "cloth", the pollen gets brushed off as they scrape through the spaces and it falls into a lower collecting container. If too much pollen is kept from entering the hive, it effects the hive's ability to raise adequate brood.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Looks good to me. It almost looks like vinyl coated wire. The openings look large enough that they shouldn't affect bees coming and going or even dislodging pollen (especially the one with the open end facing down). :thumbsup:

10. kebee

kebee Active Member

I have plenty of 1/2 inch mesh wire but a mouse can get through an 1/2 inch opening so I am going to look for some 3/8 inch and make some mouse guards from that. Thanks bamabww for that great idea.

kebee

11. Gypsi

I didn't realize they could get through half inch. 1/4 inch I've got, cost around $18 for 5 x 3 feet at home depot, I could cut bee size openings in it?

12. kebee

kebee Active Member

You could do that, but what I would do is get a punch or pice of would that is around 3/8 inches in diameter or a little smaller and put it in the wire to enlarge the hole in the wire, that way you have hole big enough for the bees but no mouse.

kebee

13. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I have some strips of perforated metal from the local scrapyard. The holes are too small for a bee to get through. I use pushpins to position the strip across the entrance leaving a bee-space below the bottom edge. Once in position, I replace the pushpins with thumb tacks. Seems to work. :thumbsup:

14. bee stung

bee stung New Member

I use 1/2 inch hardware cloth ,, i cut it right at were the cross wire is so the guard has the 1/2 inch wire with a point 3 full squares then 1/2 inch point ,,, now bend the points alittle then push it in the entrance with a paint stick ,, now when the mouse trys to get in the points will poke him and go in his skine ,,, he might get in a 1/2 inch hole but it would be tight so now the points will get him

15. jim314

jim314 New Member

Can a mouse get through a 3/8 inch opening? I haven't had any mouse problems yet and am wondering if that is the reason? I have had mice problems in my house attic and shop in the fall/winter, so I know they are here.

16. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I haven't had any mice problems with these guards installed and have tons of field mice in the areas around the hives. They are vinyl coated metal and therefore not susceptible to being chewed out to allow mice to enter. The "droppings" around one of the guards is not pollen, I was concerned about that as well and watched it closely.

17. ApisBees

ApisBees New Member

There are Mice, Moles, Voles, all looking for food and a favorable place for a winter nest some are smaller than others some can make it thru 1/2" mesh I use entrance blocks with nails spaced 5/16 apart and mice bate under the hives.

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

There's nothing like having a free radiator to warm you through a cold winter.

19. ApisBees

ApisBees New Member

And a well stocked bar of pollen and a side of honey for desert!