Installed my package and checked the other hives today.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Beeracuda, May 1, 2013.

1. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

Installed my package and checked the other hives today. Is this a queen cell?

I failed to order another frame feeder, so when I installed the package I got today I decided the take the feeder out of the nuc hive.

The nuc was installed April 6th and the girls really haven't built out much more than the 4 frames they came with. One frame is almost completely capped brood. There is a little capped honey on each of the 4 original frames. The other frames have uncapped brood, pollen and nectar. They have drawn some comb on both sides of 1 frame and have a few stores there. They have also drawn out part of 1 side of two frames of the plastic coated foundation. I was a little disappointed that I didn't see more progress.

DSCF1815.jpg

The swarm that I caught on Friday is off to a great start. I still haven't seen the queen, but there was 1 frame that was almost completely full of eggs. I really wish I had bought all black foundation. It sure makes the eggs easier to see! They have also drawn comb on at least 5 other frames and have lots of stores of nectar/feed and pollen. I didn't do a very good job of taking pictures of this hive.

The package install went pretty well. I was somewhat concerned about installing it about 2 feet from the nuc hive, but there were no problems.

DSCF1821.jpg

The only problem I did encounter was what looked like a capped queen cell in the oldest hive nuc hive. It had a queen cup when I got the nuc, but now this is capped. Please let me know what you think.

DSCF1814.jpg