Installing honey supers.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by alleyyooper, Jun 16, 2010.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

When installing a mix of honey supers (drawn comb and foundation.) how do you do it?
    I install the super with foundation first then the drawn comb. that seems to work best for me.
    At one time I wasn't having good luck getting the bees to draw out rhe wax foundation on honey supers right away so a older bee keeper in the club told me to split the brood bodies install the super between them for about 6 days. That sure worked great to the point I was doing it all the time till I got a good supply of drawn comb supers.

:mrgreen: Al

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

By doing that, or mixing the foundation in the nest, you are creating a hole in their nest area. They will always fill a hole before expanding the nest to the outside.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think what Al is describing is sometimes referred to as bottom supering. The kind of flow we have here is much different from that of Al and I have never had much luck here with bottom supering.

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I'm talking about placeing the honey supers above the two brood deeps.
    I don't have a bunch of luck mixing foundation in with drawn comb unless it is capped first. Our bees tend to draw the comb out even deeper before drawing foundation.

:mrgreen: Al

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Around here I dont mix drawn comb with foundation in the same super. What I usually have happen is they will pull out the existing comb before making comb on the foundation. Which makes it hard to uncap. If putting foundation on I will put it below an existing honey super. I have heard of splitting the 2 hive bodies to get them to draw but I have never done it. Lokks like you would have to put a queen exluder on the top and bottom of the super.