installing plastic foundation to frames: see pictures

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by adamant, May 27, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

the plastic foundations that i bought have a little corner cut out of them. my question is: does the notch go to the top or bottom?
    LIKE THIS?

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OR THIS?

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

bottom, many manufacturer's believe they need to replicate the " communication holes " bees tend to make in comb. I think it's ridiculous, while they do it occasionally not so often to manufacture it into a product.
    Barry

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I think these corners are for the bottom grooved bars that have the groove sloped up at each end, I had some of those frames and had to cut the corners off to have them work, I use rite-cell sheets from mann lakes and they come with the corners attached so you have the choice to take them off or not. and it is corners down

5. jim314

jim314 New Member

The foundation I buy from Dadant has a corner perforated so it can be broken off. I've not done it and it doesn't seem to matter to the bees. So I would think either way would be fine.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would suggest a location specific kind of thingee. The notch of course goes to the bottom side of the frame.

In warmer climates I suspect the 'communication' passage is of little value. In colder climates this provide a mechanism for bees in their winter mode to move from one side of the frame to the other. A long time ago in doing some experiments in keeping bees in extreme conditions hives constructed without these 'holes' would not survive a winter no matter how well provisioned.

7. adamant

adamant Member

thank you:thumbsup:

8. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I ordered a few split bottoms just to see what they looked like and found what Zookeep observered. I put them together with wax foundation and had to trim a few bottom corners. I also got some of the black plastic foundation with the perforated corner tabs and figured that communication holes if anything should be more use at the top of the frames so I nipped them off, and that is where they are.

I do see peek a boo holes in the wax but never made note if there is a pattern to where they usually put them.

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Those look like Harvey Honey frames...:grin: The first pic is correct. We just finished assembly of 100 deeps. Next week, mediums!

10. adamant

adamant Member

Yep. Eddie you are right! We are so fortunate to have them right up the road!