Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,
I purchased some new frames yesterday for my deep boxes and noticed four holes on each side to run wires through, the person that i purchased them from told me that all i needed to do is use two holes on each side instead of four. Will only two wires hold the foundation for a deep frame?Thanks

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
yep I only use the 2 middle holes on the frame
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
You can use the two middle holes and run the wires straight across, or you can use the top and bottom holes and make an X with the wires. Either works well.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
I have a 5 lb. roll of wire I will never use up. I have never tried twine. I have no reason to, unless I run out of wire.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
a lot of commercial folks use the the two middle set of holes + ripple wired foundation. I myself don't care much for ripple wired foundation so I run four wires and tension the wires a bit.

·
Registered
967 Posts
For the price of 4 more eyelets and three feet of wire you have an assembly that is much less likely to go wavy. The cost of the wire if I remember is only a couple of cents a frame anyway. One batch I did with only two wires went quite wavy in the heat and I culled some for rewiring to 4 per. Some foundation sheets lie quite flat and in others the crimp wires are sprung like bows.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
cool link Barbarian.

not certain it is exactly the same idea but a similar vertical wiring scheme was described to me by my bee keeping neighbor in Navasota as one used a good deal by Jim Powers (Power's Apiary was at one time the largest beekeeper in the US and part of the original partnership that founded Kona Queen Company).

the frames were also describe as being very tough when wired in this fashion.

·
Registered
728 Posts
UK Supplier

G3---- The largest UK supplier with the biggest range is Thornes.

www.thorne.co.uk

The printed version of their catalogue is best. The illustrations and text are better than on-line. If you get them to send you a copy, it will make an interesting winter browse.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts