Instrumental Insemination equipment wanted

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by wfuavenger, Jan 30, 2010.

1. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

Looking for a full set of II sterile equipment. Any reviews on the easiest to use is appreciated also. Thanks for any help. ljkht@aol.com, Tatesapiaries@yahoo.com, or 336 788 4554.

2. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

We are still looking for equipment... If anybody has some they would be willing to sell, or knows someone who might want to sell, please let us know.

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

You might want to check out Bee-L. The folks there are mostly acedemic folks who would have access to and use for such equipment. I don't know if there are very many on this site who would have had the opportunity to see such equipment, let alone own or use it. I could be wrong.

Maybe Dr. Larry John Conner of Wicwas Press could suggest to you where to find what you are looking for. He is the first person to come to mind who I'm sure has used II equipment.

What are your intentions? II queens don't last all that long, do they? What are going to use for stock, queen and drone stock? How many drones are you planning on using per insemination?

Oh yeah, there was a guy from NC who gave a talk in Orlando at the ABF conference. He also gave the same talk to our state group in NY. If I could only remember his name. When it comes to me I will get back to you.

He talked about the importance of diversity of gene stock w/in the strain that you wish to grow queens from. One drone has enuf semen to fill the spermatheca of the queen, but queens naturally mate w/ from one to fourty five drones for an average of 13.5 drones. The more drones mated w/ the better the diversity of semen which is necessary for the colony's resistance to diseases.

I'll get back to you.

4. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

Thanks for the reference. II queens if inseminated right last just as long as open mated.

I am going to be using my degree (Biology).

We will be raising our own queens and drones.

Open mated queens mate with random drones. We will be selecting about the same number of drones from hives that exhibit the traits we want. This way the mating is controlled, we know what our queens are mated with and we can keep inbreeding down, while keeping diversity up.

5. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

I called Dr. Connor and he said he does not have any equipment.

6. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

7. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Dave Tarpy, that's the name I was searching for. UNC, I believe.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

9. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

I have spoken with Mr. Tarpy already. Very nice guy. The ebay thread I am not too happy about as we already messaged him a week ago and he said he was thinking about it and he would let us know (after he posted 8 months ago that he had it for sale). He then went and put it on ebay.....

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If the equipment belonged to the university a public auction might have been the only way to sell it.

G3

11. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

How much does a new one cost? I have no idea where to find one. Maybe Dr. Jim Tew from OSU/ATI could direct your search. He writes columns in the Bee Culture Mag. You can find his contact info there. I'll ask my buddy Chuck and see if he knows anyone w/ one.

12. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

dont worry about it... I think we are just going to get a new one....

13. larry tate

larry tate New Member

We found what we wanted. Thanks again for all the replys and pm's.

14. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

have you checked with Mike Singleton in north Carolinian he sell as cold mtn queens he make them things I don't use AI or ever will
    Don :yahoo:

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Mike Singleton
    65 Pyrenees Place
    Canton, NC 28716
    Phone: 828 648 -1198 (h)
    828 400 - 0466 ( cell)
    queens
    DBA...Cold Mountain Queens

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Did anybody on here end up with the one that was on ebay??

G3