insurance and liablity issues

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by indigoeye, Jul 17, 2011.

1. indigoeye

indigoeye New Member

Hi All,

Couple of questions for everyone. We want to set up a couple of hives in a couple of locations next year and wonder about having insurance and liablity issues.

So my first question is, who is responsible if someone is injured if my hive is on someone else's property?

Second question, who is responsible if my hives are damaged or destoyed?

Thirdly, does anyone have contracts or written agreements with folks for putting hives on thier property?

Lastly, if we should get insurance where does someone get insurance for this kind of thing?

Thanks all! Have a terrific weekend!

Michelle & Mark

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Talk to an Insurance Agent about this. Explain the situation and see what thery have to say. Our insurance is thru Farm Family. When my hives are on someone elses property, I believe, that the liability coverage is just like when they are on my own property or on a semi.

As far as damage done to your hives while on someone elses property? You are selfinsured. Meaning, who are you going after for what could be hundreds or at the most a thousand dollars damage? No one. Unless you can prove vandalism by someone. Then that is a legal matter and would be taken up in court.

I do have insurance on my hives which would pay me for damage done by bears, if I lost more than ten hives. Though I don't really know that it is worth the cost. Having had no claims. No one else I know has that coverage.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

first off I am not a lawyer so this little bit of advice is effectively worthless. each states laws concerning property and liability will vary somewhat to greatly so any thing that may apply in Texas may not apply in Washington State.

there are written contract for pollination that should work. you would need to know the basic of what need to be on the contract to make it legal and binding in Washington State... typically some date, some consideration ($) and signature by both parties are required.

if you have a state bee association and they have a web site there will be some business that sell property and casualty insurance in your state. for most folks (non commercial) a home owners policy is generally how liability and property is insured.