Interested in getting bee’s this spring.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Hoover Hives, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Hoover Hives

Hoover Hives New Member

I’m interested in getting bee’s this spring. I have just one problem! The city I live in Ashland, KY has an code against bee Hives in the city. I’m looking for information to have the city change this and make it possible to keep bee’s in the city. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for allowing me to this group.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I think your city has specific procedures, most will allow a vote on a rule if presented with a petition from citizens in support. You probably want to call city hall if you don't want to be sneaky.

My city requires a huge amount of permitting for a pond on a lot without a house. I initially tried to run legal. then I built a privacy fence and a pond I could literally dismantle and load on a trailer inside said privacy fence. Not saying you should do this, but when it comes to bees a bit of privacy reduces public interaction.

If you decide to be sneaky don't try to change the rule first, they will be checking on you. (I waited 9 years before I put that fence up and the pond in. )

3. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

I have the same issue, on long island no bees aloud in my county..screw them , I have bees...just be smart and dont advertise to anyone what you are doing and keep the hives out of the public eye..my other house upstate I can have hundreds of hives with no issue, not that I have that many, next year im hoping to split the hive and have 2...public opinion is pro bees, but the idiots that make the laws are just that..swelled headed politicians that dont want to be told the laws they make are stupid..so if your dona do it on the sneak, then just do it...its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, and if the town or country tries to take action, go to social media and tell the world, but especially all the local papers, there is a case a few villages over that the village seized the beehive of a bee keeper and then returned his empty boxes with no honey or bees, now he is suing the village and seems public opinion is on his side, the law they went by is old and outdated and really doesnt apply to controlled bee keeping...lots of eyes looking for what the outcome will be..

4. roadkillbobb

do you have any bee clubs local or statewide you can contact for help? as I said above there is a law against bees in my county and there are several groups trying to change that, but it will be a looong battle..so do what you have to in the meantime..good luck..

5. Hoover Hives

Hoover Hives New Member

Local club is helping. We have also got in touch with the state apriarist.

6. roadkillbobb

and how long has that battle to make them legal been going on?

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Fort Worth just got around to creating Blue Zones for gardens and bees, they previously had no regulations on bees. I'm grandfathered in anyway

8. Hoover Hives

Hoover Hives New Member

Working with local club and waiting to hear from state