Interesting choice by a swarm

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by bamabww, May 23, 2013.

1. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I caught this swarm on May 2 (or 3rd) of this year and checked their progress today. I placed 6 frames with new foundation and 3 frames with at least partially drawn foundation and the bees decided to start anew and haven't even touched (drawn out) the foundation with existing comb. Notice in the first photo the bees worked the first six frames on the right side and have at least drawn out some on each of the 6 new frames. The 3 frames on the far left are the existing at least partially drawn foundation that hasn't been worked at all.
    P5233380.JPG P5233382.JPG P5233381.JPG

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Are you kidding me! :shock: That looks like a honey super! :eek: Are you telling me your bees are already up into a honey super, drawn comb, filled and capped it?

Weird about the non-use of existing comb too.:???:

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

What a pretty frame of honey Wayne, :thumbsup: I wish all my frames looked that new and clean.

4. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Yeah, really surprised me too. This is the 9 frame super I put the swarm in originally, the one you suggested I add the extra frame, instead of doing that, the next evening, I added a 10 frame deep with all new plastic foundation. I left them with this 9 frame super and a 10 frame deepI ordered some more foundation and waited a week until it came in to add another 10 frame deep. I figured in that length of time the queen had already started laying in the partially drawn out foundation in the honey super. When I added the second deep, I checked the honey super and found no larvae, eggs or sealed cells at that time either in the drawn out foundation. They had started drawing out comb in the first deep as well as the honey super. I closed it up and this was my first visit since then, about 16 or 17 days.
    I'm going back in tomorrow for a full inspection of the two deeps.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wayne, in part the bees decision to start with the foundation is in the biology of the swarm. swarm bees are the best bees to draw foundation. before swarming, they engorge themselves with honey, they have no brood to feed, so wax production is at it's greatest, a lot of bees ready to produce wax and draw comb. they will sometimes ignore drawn comb, and any drawn comb with honey in it. it would be similiar if they swarmed to a hole in a tree, etc. there is no foundation or drawn comb. so as you say, they are ready 'to start anew", and really that is the first order of business for them in a natural setting, to draw comb, to provide space for the queen to lay, and storage space for pollen and nectar.

great photos!

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That capped honey frame looks super clean! Related to your observation about ignoring drawn comb and drawing foundation, I checked in on my tbh with a swarm. They started drawing comb in the middle of the ten bars I gave them to start with and ignored the portion of drawn comb I attached to bar#1.

7. Lazarus4

Lazarus4 New Member

Great photos Wayne. They sure do look clean and nice. Is that typical action for the bees to ignore the other comb and draw their own comb? Will they eventually use both combs? Do you find many swarms in your area?

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

laz,
    typical? i think, more natural biological behavior of a swarm (for the reasons i stated earlier). yes, they wll eventually use both combs.:grin:

9. Lazarus4

Lazarus4 New Member

Wayne
    I just found out that I am about to become a foster parent. In a week or so it looks like there will be at least several hundred little new born females and I only have one bathroom. I will never get to use it. :) The queens are at work making babies.