Interesting find - Popular Science - May 1945

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hawk, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Hawk

Hawk Member

This evening I was searching for pollen trap plans (and I'm still looking) - and came across a Google Books 1945 issue of Popular Science.

They had an article on pollen traps... the article following the pollen trap article was interesting, though... it touted the great benefits of DDT and the many uses for it around the house, and that it was thought to be safe to use as a flea/tick dip for dogs...

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Well actually DDT was an amazing and very inexpensive product. It is my understanding that it is still in use in Mexico. notice how tasty are those Mexican grown tomatoes?

the inexpensive notation on DDT did eventually get it into trouble along with the 52 year half life.

3. Ray

Ray Member

DDT? Lovely stuff, My grandfather used to spray the cows with it, before he milked them. Folks sprayed there window screens and window sills (mosquitoes and gnats) and there baseboards and kitchen counters (ants). My folks used to hire someone to spray the nearby swamp with it. It sure thinned out the mosquitoes, along with the frogs and the birds.:cry:

tecumseh: the inexpensive notation on DDT did eventually get it into trouble along with the 52 year half life.

And at that rate, I am probably down to a couple of tablespoons in my system
    :roll:

Silent Spring is a book written by Rachel Carson and published by Houghton Mifflin on September 27, 1962.

4. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Thanks Rachael Carson.

Not until about 10 years ago did eagles reappear in this area. Robins became very scarce for a while too, now they quarrel over territory in our yard. It is amazing how long it took to put the brakes on DDT and the hypocrisy of still selling it to third world countries. It has just recently started to come to some peoples attention that there IS only ONE WORLD!

Canada just recently moved to discontinue exporting asbestos, another very effective tool with insidious and very long term unintended consequences. Sure puts the lie to the perfection of the invisible guiding hand of the free market system.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Read that DDT was used recently in Africa to combat Malaria that was killing thousands of people. Seems i remember the ban in the US of A because it killed eagles. I remember when the city of Springfield, Mo. had trucks spraying the roadside ditches with DDT.I use to spray the cows in the milk barn with the hand pump fly sprayer,they always leaked and i had DDT running down my arms.I kind of liked the smell of it.:roll: Jack

6. jb63

jb63 New Member

My mom taught school in west Texas and on Fridays she would line the kids up and take a ruler and lift the back of their hair to look for lice.If they had lice she would reach into a coffee can of powdered DDT and dust a hand full on their head.Then they were sent home and told to wash with B brand dog soap and not to come back to school till the lice was gone.:eek:

7. Crofter

Crofter New Member

jb63, i remember being dosed with kerosene for lice and gone over with a fine toothed comb! People today dont even know where the expression comes from. At that time coil oil smell was as common as dirt. Now it would probably trigger the explosives detectors.

At that time I guess we could rightly plead ignorance for a lot of what we did but it is a lame excuse today!