Interesting new bee gear

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, May 17, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Got a visit from a young couple from Germany that have started marketing some of their products here in Nova Scotia.
    Really nice folks with a family background in beekeeping and bee supply there in Germany going back 20 years. They have some innovative stuff.
    I am interested in their Mini Plus Nuc Box system. This stuff is really tough and is supposed to last up to 30 years. The small plastic frames (optional over wood) can be connected end to end to form a regular medium frame (never seen this before) so you can easily transfer to regular gear and back. In Germany overwintering of nucs is now the norm. Their standard size stuff is about the same price as retail wooden ware up here. If I was a hobbiest this would be of interest to me starting out.
    Got a free package of honey gummi bears, granola bar and lip balm too (which they were in the area introducing to health food stores). :thumbsup:

www.golden-green.ca

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Interesting stuff Perry. "Optimal insolation for Canadian Winters"

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

Great info

Any chance of having their German contact infor for my Beek friends in Germany?

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I've asked Barabarian (UK) on another thread to see if he's heard of anything about the company. I don't know the name of the one in Germany but when I buy, sorry, I mean if,:wink: some of their stuff (they are coming back through in a couple of weeks and if you buy in May there's 15% off), I will be sure to ask.

5. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Do you have any pictures?

6. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I hear you Perry.

I am going a little cross-eyed flipping from the original posts in Introductions " New beekeeper from Finland" to this new thread.

I think the info regarding this hive equipment is better placed as you have done in "General Beekeeping".

I will have a root around and post any useful findings. . .:smile:

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Pic me up 5 nucs. I'll be in Bar Harbor, ME in August. How far from the CAT Ferry are you in Nova Scotia lol

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

The Cat? :shock:
    That baby hasn't run for a couple years now at least. When the government cancelled that ferry they added about a 6 hour drive to anyone wanting off the mainland going south.
    I'll just send you the bill for 5 nucs and I'll take care of them till you get up here to pick them up. :wink: :lol:

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Perry, you need to test them for a couple years to be sure they are right before giving them to him. :thumbsup: :grin:

You wouldn't want to give him bad stuff.

10. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Oh man really? No more CAT? It would be a nice drive up and around. I've been wanted to go further up than Bar Harbor. Are there lobsters up there? :grin:

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Are there lobsters up there" :shock:
    Absolutely! :grin:

"Test 'em". Good idea Iddee. :thumbsup:

12. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I asked them that very question and they said that the bees did not propolize them enough to cause a problem. I was leery of prying the boxes apart although it seems that they would stand a good deal of abuse. I may try a couple of the Mini Plus Nucs. I assume the "Bee Max" stuff is no different?

14. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Here is some more info on polystyrene mating nucs.

http://www.cornwallhoney.co.uk/beepedia/warnholzmini.htm

The Warnholz seems to have been around for many years. It seems to go by several names. I was given one of these years ago. I never got round to using it. I put it in a club auction but no takers. It is still gathering dust in my shed.

Thorne's (UK supplier) lists the Warnholz plus 3 other polystyrene mini nucs in the catalogue. One of these is the Apidea which also has been going for many years. I think that these mini nucs might be more suitable for someone who is grafting and raising a lot of queens.

If I were to try polystyrene, I think I would start with the Payne's nucleus hive. For me, it could be a way to over-winter a nuc. I do, however, have reservations about the internal feeder.

I am also wondering if polystyrene is the way to go. This material is not usually re-cyclable and takes ages to decay in land-fill. Incineration (warming and greenhouse gases ?) is an option. :???: