Interesting new hive design.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Gator_56, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

2. thatguy324

thatguy324 New Member

i was gonna build my hive like this one but i can find pallets way cheaper so i am building my top bar hives from those and maybe a few swarm traps to the only free barrels i could find were used for tire cleaner and that stuff is toxic

3. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

I want to build a TBH, but I'm pretty lazy so I'm looking for a easy build.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yeap, seen that before Gator. I would think it would be better suited for warmer climates with the thin walls of the barrel. I use this plan: http://www.lulu.com/shop/philip-cha...l;jsessionid=6D83ADC0D28632079CCCB562F8C38D4C. I have built three of them this spring. Very easy! One of them was built from an old drafting table and the other from an old shelf. I look on Craigslist for free lumber and/or shelves in the 1" thickness range too. I am building them with large Langstroth style telescoping lids now but if I like my experience with the tbhs, I will start using corrugated plastic roofing.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

some of the first top bar hives I ever read about in the bee journal (must have bee 30 years back) were constructed in this manner although the barrels were plastic (blue) and not metal. I seem to recall the 'former' peace corp person who wrote about this in the bee journals a bit later did a translocation from the tbh to a land.

I would guess with the black barrel you would either have to have it in shade or face the possibility of over heating. you could of course paint the barrel white and perhaps hang a bit large roof over it to give it a bit more shade.