interesting number seen on news about the on going wars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, Jun 8, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I was watching tv last night when they showed the latest soldier that had died in the war. I didnt catch wether it was Iraq or afganistan. It really doesnt matter which. The interesting thing in this report was they reported that he was the 6062 death of a US soldier since the wars began. I bet most people in the USA are unaware of the number of soldiers that gave up there lives to serve this country. I know I didnt.

2. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

Wow! I'm not sure about Pres. Obama's position regarding the public knowing such facts. Pres. Bush didn't want the press to publish and of the bad details about the war. No body bags show on tv, unlike the Vietnam War.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

this is likely another number they don't want you to consider.... the total number of us and british politician convicted of war crimes '0'.

imho we should have hung one or two for the vietnam war simply to have made an impression on those politicians that came later.

4. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

And now we're "supporting" rebels in Libya in their effort to overthrow the gov't, while at the same time "supporting" a weak Yemen gov't in their effort to keep rebels from taking over.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With unemployment as high as it is, can you imagine how high it would go if we brought all the troops home? They would be without jobs, along with the thousands who now work to supply them and the war. It is the same as 'nam, just an economic war to burn up supplies so we can make more.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Speaking of unemployment and the military. Being familiar with the Marine Corps recruiting. I talked to the sons. recruiter and he was telling me he is no longer to go out recruiting. He is to stay at the office. The military is flooded with kids joining because they cant get jobs once out of school. According to him this is why obama did away with enlistment bonuses. They no longer needed to encourage kids to join. He said some branches of the military have tightened up the requirements to get into the military. The courts once gave kids that was in trouble the option of jail or the military. That option is no longer available since the military no longer will take felons and some misdemeanor convictions

I am unsure why or how Fox news was able to obtain or report the number of soldiers killed in action. But it was a far higher number than I would have even dreamed of. It made me really set back and fathom the number

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Yep friends son who wants to make the navy a career was tossed out after his 4 compulsory - despite a Captains commendation Tried local rep and most other avenues but no go. Trying to downsize Navy. Poor kid has nothing and little chance of job here. His expertise is marine gas turbines.

8. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

There are many now serving who will be w/out Military Employment soon. The Military is going back to Pre-War Status, according to my source. That means alot of Soldiers that aren't up to grade, those whose infractions have been overlooked because they were needed, will be more closely scrutinised and then discharged.

As far as the Death Total. I didn't know that either and I'm sure 99% don't. I don't see any conspiracy or effort to suppress knowledge of it. It's just a number. Each death is not just a number though. Memorial Day would have been the day to have had that number in mind.

Another number we don't have in front of us is how many have served. How many have had multiple tours. Comparitively the KIA number is quite small relative to the number that have served. That is something to be thankful for, while rightfully mourning those lost.

9. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

RR, we've been at this for ten years. If we had been in Viet nam for ten years, when we were, imagine how big that wall in Washington would be. It never would have been built, it would have been so big.

And grave sites at Arlington would be overwhelming even more so than they are.

How are your Sons? Hear from them much? When my son was in Iraq, we heard from him a little, but not like what I hear of today. Seems like there is more instant communication back home from the Theatre.

I hope they are doing well.

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

The oldest is in Pensicola Florida For air crew training. The youngest boy leaves for MCRD boot camp aug 1st. Thanks for asking

11. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Thier MOS? Or in the case of the one going to Boot Camp, his hopes?

12. riverrat

riverrat New Member

The son in Pensicola his mos is helicopter crew chief. The one going in is a little different situation his grandfather was a marine in nam his great grandad was a marine in wwII. So he asked the recruiter what mos would put him in the war. The recruiter thinking he was looking to avoid the war was dumb founded when he told him battlefield support artillery. The boy said sign me up. Momma dont much care for his descision. And I got to say it worries me. But I look at it as somebodies son has got to do it. I got to admire him for his brave descision to step up and chose what he did. He has wanted to go to the military since he was old enough to know what the military was.

13. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

He coulda gotten Sniper or Infantry, so seems to me, battlefield support artillery aught to keep him somewhat off the front lines. But maybe not. Probably as much of a target, I guess.

Yeah, I wasn't too happy either when my Son chose Army Infantry. Not that he sought my approval or advice. I would have told him what my Dad told me.

"If you find yourself going into Military Service during war time, try to get into the Air Force Nurses Corp. You'll be farthest from the front lines and you'll always have plenty to eat." He was tail end of WW2 and then Korean Conflict.

14. riverrat

riverrat New Member

When he told us what he did. We was a little shocked at first. But not suprised. The guy don't say much but is quite humorous when he does. Said "dad least I 'm not on the front line. I will be firing artillery behind them for there suport." I asked him "are you firing at the enemy on the front lines or at the artillery behind them." He said "most likely the artillery behind them." I then asked "do you think the other side hasnt figured that one out also?" He was quiet for a 2nd and said "darn maybe I should of went to college smiled and walked away."

15. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Neat Kid. I wish him well.

16. kbenz

kbenz New Member

good luck to him, and thank him for his service to our country.