Interesting Stump Log With Unknown Bees

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by blueblood, Sep 16, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Remember the 50's bee equipment thread from Crazy where I picked up the equipment? They contacted me this morning to tell me they rolled a log over in their yard and found honey bees and comb on the bottom of it. Ironic turn of events huh? Anyway, my bee learning so far would have me believe bees do not nest in the ground. So, I asked them some clarification questions: Sure they are honeybees? Are they coming and going from the log like it's an airport? Are they carrying yellow/orange pollen on their legs? They answered every question with a yes. However, they believe half of the nest is in the ground and other in the log????

Is this possible or do you think they are seeing some type of ground nesting bees? Do ground nesting bees carry in pollen and build comb like honeybees? I did not have time to over there but they sent some pics. The pics are not the best but I have attached them below. If I determine these are honeybees, I am bringing that stump home and keeping in the bee yard until spring.

photo.jpg photo (3).jpg photo (1).jpg photo (2).jpg

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The pictures aren't very good but the hole in the stump that was in the position of being pointing down in the ground the cells are positioned that they would have been horizontal Honey bee build their comb vertically. unless the comb broke free and fell into that position But i don't think so. The comb is facing so the insect enters from the bottom upwards. bumbles enter downward. My guess not honey bees.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Apis...good points. She sent me another email clarifying that she now thinks the majority of the comp is in the log and the comb stopped at ground level...maybe it did move position when lifted up?? I really need to get over there and look up close first hand...

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I'd take a bee suit in case they're yellow jackets or something.

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

You could be right the stump sitting in the middle of the front yard is out of place, unless it was placed there for a reason, the reason there were bees in it. And then it got kicked over and left. To bad the photos where not better so you could make out whether the comb is wax or paper fiber like wasps.
    Keep us posted.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks like yellow jackets to me.

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Im thinking yellow jackets as well, I sprayed a nest of them in a side wall and when I scraped the nest open it looked just like that

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

The comb build make a lot of sense to me. The white caps look like wasp activity too. I will check them out this week sometime to make sure...

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

This week sometime is a mistake. If they are honeybees, the comb is now at 90 degrees and needs to be righted. They will have a non-repairable mess in a couple of days. If you want to save them, get there tomorrow and put it back in the orientation it was in.

10. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

And if they are bees remember who set you up with these people and bring the stump over to my place. :rolling:

11. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

BTW- did you get my inbox message? blueblood?

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

dave,
    i'm just a girly but i'm with the guys, it does not look like honey bee, probably yellow jacket, hornet or wasp....my long distance armchair guess, hornet or wasp. remember the bob and mike story? in one of the oak trees they blasted, was similiar comb building in the knot of the tree. from the pics, my vote, hornet or wasp......
    btw dave, don't forget to take the stump over to crazy8's place :lol:

13. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

That comb looks like yellowjacket.

When a swarm took over my beetree
    Stump they entered belowground after
    I blocked the knothole and gave them a
    Top entrance. They are honeybees

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  14. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Hey now! I said if THEY were bees!!! lol

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:thumbsup: :rolling: :thumbsup:

16. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Hey now! I said if THEY were bees!!! lol"

:lol:

17. blueblood

blueblood New Member

You guys are great, lol at all of you....ha!

18. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

My initial thought was of the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson when they played Stump The Band. :)