Interesting two days in my bee yard

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by RE Jones, Apr 13, 2012.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I went to check on a new hive in my yard from a cut-out I did about a week ago. While I was working on this hive, I heard piping from my big TBH. The virgin queen in this hive is not laying eggs properly, she is hit and miss. I saw the supercedure cell in there approximately a week ago.

This is the first time I have ever heard this.

Next day I was just watching the hives and I saw the queen land on the TBH and go in. At first I thought a wasp of some type had landed and then realized that it was the new queen.

Hopefully she has mated and this hive will return to normal in the near future. I can't believe she was out flying a day after she came out of the cell. Just goes to show that you can not believe everything you read in books.

Robert

2. hankdog1

hankdog1 New Member

Be nice if those bees did read the same books we do. A lot of myths about beekeeping in the books. I told a queen of mine that she wasn't supposed to walk across capped honey when I saw her do it. Didn't think she paid much attention though.

3. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Come on guys they are females and they make the rules:smile:. Thanks for the update RE

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Sadly....this is true....I live with four daughters and my wife.......ha!

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Same here and not hardly five years between all four.