Introduced my Bees, let the adventure begin!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by blueblood, Apr 3, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I promised to post some pics of my first experience with keeping bees and here they are. My mentor could not come over to help me but made sure I was good to go before I left his barn. I figured it was best for me to do it myself anyway. I traded him some fresh frames/foundations for some "drawn" ones...(that's for you Iddee..ha!), he gave me two pollen patties and topped it all off with four pounds of honey to take back home to enjoy. I put the bees in my Beemer and off we went. The louder they buzzed the more my heart pounded. I held up my camera at home and asked who wanted to take pictures. My daughters quickly declined. My wife said she wasn't afraid of any bees. We hopped in the golf cart and off we went (Her legs are the good looking ones in the pick on the golf cart right next to the bees!). By the time we reached the bee yard they were buzzing pretty good. Early evening with cool sun setting was probably perfect. Don't laugh, but I taped the crap out of my pant legs and gloves, ha! I sprayed some sugar water on the package and watched them calm down a bit. They did quiet down and it seemed like they were looking at me and saying, "come on, let's do this." First task for my hive tool was popping off the lid over the sugar can. The first package surprised me with about 20 bees under there nest the the queen cage. Set the queen aside for a moment and removed the can. Shook the bees in the deep. My heart was pounding pretty good but I remembered you guys telling me to be confident and not afraid. I was a little bit nervous about pounding on the side of the package after a while, so I placed it on the ground and let the rest crawl out on their own. I removed the cork in the queen cage and poked a hole in the candy placing her in the middle. I put the inner lid on and placed a pollen patty on top of it. Finally, I placed a top feeder on and rest of the components and then repeated for the second hive. I was proud of my wife for walking up pretty close to the hives to take the pics. The funny part was when she said, "what is falling on me, it's yellow crap." Indeed, she was getting crapped on by the bees! I had heard they wait to be released to do their business...they had to go! My youngest was brave enough to drive out and take a look also. I can see how a guy becomes confident around them. I walked up to them in regular clothes and moved the packages. They were all around and on me but no stings. I built a watering tower today but was not able to fix it to the ground. You can see it leaning on a tree near the hives. I watched them with great interest until it turned dark. That was a rush and I think I am going to like this just fine!! I may have to continue the pics on another thread...
    DSCF5376.jpg DSCF5377.jpg DSCF5379.jpg DSCF5380.jpg DSCF5381.jpg DSCF5382.jpg DSCF5383.jpg DSCF5384.jpg DSCF5385.jpg DSCF5386.jpg

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Attached Files:

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Looking good. The only thing I might suggest is remove the inner cover until you quit using the top feeder.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

congrats looks great keep us informed on your adventures.

6. Marbees

Marbees Member

Now we are talking :smile: Congratulations:thumbsup:

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Ready....Set,,,,GO! :razz:

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looking good!!

Good luck with the bees.

What do they plant in the big field behind your bees, or is it a big hay field?

Look back on these pics in a couple of years and you will notice how your practices have changed, mainly you will loose the gloves and suite as your confidence level builds, kind of funny.

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

HI G and thanks! The field behind the hives alternates between soy beans and corn from year to year. This is a corn year and I am actually flanked by fields...well, pretty much the state of Indiana is flanked by corn fields. I can see what your talking about with the suit and gloves. I used to be nervous around one bee. I went out afterwards and moved the packages with shorts and t-shirt in the middle of several bees close to the hives. I told my youngest one rested on my hand to say hello. Her eyes were big as quarters and said, Dad, there's one on your back saying hi too, ha!

10. jim314

jim314 New Member

Congratulations on the successful install and your start of beekeeping :)

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

It looks like you've really got it going on! :D

I like the stand for the water cans!

12. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks! I went out just as the sun was orange and popping up. The bees were still for the most part. I went back almost an hour later and was absolutely pleased with how active and busy they were coming and going. I understand a little bit now how you all are hooked because I could sit back there for hours watching their behaviors. I was able to see one checking another out on the ramp. She kept her head close to the other bee and then rotated her tail end and circled the other bee. They are starting to pull the dead bees from the package intro out of the reducer opening also. Pretty darn cool!

13. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Greg! I had planned on building a very small gold fish pond near the hive with floating plants but decided to use the KISS method for now. So, found some scrap wood in my workshop and made a trip to the farm store for the water cans. I just made it up as I went along...I found some bees around it this morning.

14. Omie

Omie New Member

Congratulations! :)

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Well done! :thumbsup: Your addiction is now complete! :lol:

A couple of questions if I may? You have placed your pollen patties on top of your inner cover, I am curious why you didn't just place them on the top bars? Another observance, where did you pick up the idea to use the "nail through the candy" trick. This was something I was taught and have since come to not practise. I have had the misfortune of seeing this trick go seriously bad.

Thanks for posting the great pics. You have been extremely patient waiting for your "girls" and it's nice to see it finally pay off! :thumbsup:

16. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Gratz, now your never gonna go back, hooked for ever:thumbsup:

17. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

One thing appears to be missing: you need a stool or bench out by your colonies for you to sit and watch!

18. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ha! Indy, I actually have a five gallon bucket back there now I turned over and have been sitting on. My wife has looked for me twice now because I haven't taken my phone with me back there...it's about a quarter a mile behind our main house. I'm itching to go back now to watch them. What I have found neat is to sit behind the hive which allows me to see where they fly off to and where they return from. I really want to open that lid to see if the queen has been released yet...it's going to take some will power not to get in there too often...

19. melrose

melrose New Member

I was taught the same thing about the nail thru the candy. I don't like it, probably for the same fear as you PerryBee, I don't want to accidentally spear the queen.
    I just chip away a little now to give the bees a head start. May not even have to do that as they'd probably have no issues with chewing thru it on their own.

20. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Missed your your reply at the end of page 1 Perry...sorry...to answer your questions, my mentor advised using a toothpick. I also read about others doing the same thing. I made sure the queen and attendants were away from the candy and then I slowly pushed the toothpick through until it barely poked through the other side. The candy was softer than I thought it was going to be. I may not do it the next time considering how soft it was. I had not learned about the pollen patty until the day I received my bees. I put it on the top of the inner cover because my mentor explained it was where he put his. I saw a youtube video yesterday where a guy had on the top bars.