Introducing a frame of bees and brood to a different queen

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by mjrice, Jul 15, 2011.

1. mjrice

mjrice New Member

I have a queen that has no hive (they died off suddenly as I posted separately). Anyway, today the queen came out when I opened the hive to check on her, and she flew lazy circles around the hive for a few minutes. Then I picked her up (she's very docile) and I put her in a wide mouth jar with some honeycomb I took from my other hive. She slurped honey for a while; i think she must have been really hungry.

Anyway, my question is, theoretically, if I were to take a frame from my other hive (obviously not with the queen from that hive) and put it in the dead hive (cleaned out since the die off) along with that other queen, would they accept her, or would I have to keep her sequestered from them for a while for her protection?

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Re: Introducing a frame of bees and brood to a different que

a queen cage or introduction cage is designed to allow the worker bees in the box to become acquainted with any newley introduced queen. the entire introduction process is ideally designed to take about 2 days. you can easily construct an introduction cage from wine corks (2), hardware wire (1/8") and electrical tape. use the two corks to shape a round cage that you secure on the two ends with electrical tape. after a day or so you pull one of the corks. these also work well with virgins <these I am told you want to release earlier rather than later.

don't drink the wine before trying this at home!

3. mjrice

mjrice New Member

Thanks for the quick reply; is hardware wire the same as screen? I can buy it at the hardware store?

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

heavy screen I guess you might call it. number 8 (8 strands per inch) should be readily available in any hardware store where you could buy standard screen. standard wire screen would also work although you would want (I would think) for the wire to be fairly stiff (like that used in a veil).

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like tec said. Without an introduction cage they would probably kill her. I'm wondering why the hive died and the queen survived. :confused: Pesticides maybe?? Jack

6. mjrice

mjrice New Member

Pesticides are my guess too, Jack. It was a swarm that I captured only a couple weeks earlier; I'm guessing they just stumbled on something nasty. I have no idea why the queen didn't die also. Maybe she's *just that tough*

7. mjrice

mjrice New Member

Well, I went ahead and did it. Another beek had a queen cage I could use, so I marked the wild queen and popped her into the cage, then added a frame of brood and nurse bees from my other hive.

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

dont forget to let us know how it goes :thumbsup: