Is it a TV Stand? A Speaker? Removal scheduled for Valentines day

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bees In Miami, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Went to check out a removal today...curious to see if any of you can figure out what the bees are in!?!?! Though you barely see it, there was a giant clay pot on top of the....tv stand? speaker? I muscled the clay pot off the top. This is just a discard left in the back corner of a fenced in yard. If it's as full as it looks, this may be a couple boxes of bees & brood. FINALLY...It's on the GROUND! (I thought only Zookeep could get them down low....lol!!) It looks like I can just pop off the front, and cut out from there. I am excited that I don't need to put my old body up a ladder! YAY! :lol: I got the clay pot off the top, and trimmed some overgrowth today. Cut out to be done Thursday barring any unforeseen circumstances, of which there are many pending....:shock: So what say ye? Speaker box? Upside down TV stand? I really think it is full of comb and honey....I couldn't budge it. But, at my size, that's not unheard of, either... Please note on the pics that the bees are packed up on the window! Wish I could salvage it as a Red Neck Observation hive! :rolling: This one will be fun! :thumbsup:

Feedback? What are they in???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my BIG question of the day....Which way do you expect the comb is running? Should I take wagers?? :lol:

[​IMG]

This "box" is a bit bigger than a 10 frame deep, so that is what I am planning on. I will have an extra Nuc in case. Yay! It's not in a soffit 2 stories up!! :clapping::yahoo:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

No idea what that "box" is, :confused:
    But hey, it's full of bees! :yahoo:

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

have no clue what that thing is......
    like perry though, IT'S A BOX FULL OF FREE BEES! ......:lol:

4. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

wow, neat find! have no idea what it is, either!

5. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Looking forward to this one! Unfortunately, bad weather is headed in. Removal is now set for Tuesday. I'll get pics! Maybe the husband will teach me how to use the video camera this weekend... I'll update next week! Looks like a good strong colony headed for the yard! :yahoo:

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

It could bee a bass speaker in a tv stand for an older TV. There should be wire connectors or plug jacks to connect the wires. If it is a bass [FONT=&quot]subwoofer[/FONT] in it, the weight is from the speaker the bees could be warped behind the speaker and it could be a challenge to get to them. I would go at night and take a strong lad with you smokk the bees in and duck tape screen over the large openings and tape shut the cracks they could escape out of and move it to your place to tackle the removal. Set it up on something so you have better access.

7. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

ApisBees...You may have hit the nail on the head, darnit!! Perhaps I will go back out and see if I can free the bottom. It's been there a while, and there is plenty of earth and plant life contributing to the weight. I may pop off the front for a better look if the weather isn't too bad. I am assuming the speaker itself can just be removed with a screwdriver?? I'd also like to get a good look for entrances before attempting to tuck them in at night. Thanks once again for your input...I think you nailed it! Updates to come. (dang.....just when I thought I found an easy one...:beg:)

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

miami,
    it is easy......it's not 15 or more feet up in the air!!!! no ladder, or other industrious 'jury rigged' equipment....! :lol:

hey best wishes to a successful removal!

9. Lburou

Lburou Member

It looks like it could be a sub-woofer of some kind, but could just be a speaker enclosure to provide supplemental sound for the audio component it complements. If its just a speaker enclosure, the inside space should be open and accessible. If its a sub-woofer, you may encounter closed spaces with openings on the front and the rear to accommodate long wave lengths produced by subs. For your sake, I hope its an enclosure that is fairly open and accessible. But it could turn out to be a paper shredder. ;)

Best of luck. :)

10. Hawk

Hawk Member

It looks like a utility box and inverted lid to me.. Just not buried.