Is it Beekeeping feasible for my area?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by iskhan, Sep 11, 2012.

1. iskhan

iskhan New Member

Hi Experts

I am interesting in beekeeping but I need to know is it Beekeeping feasible for my area?
    In my area following trees/plants are growing the number is showing there quantity for example Maximum tree are Buttonwood then Button wood place in position 1) and then Bugenwilla so it place is 2) and so on

1) Buttonwood
    2) Bugenwilla & Dates
    3) Eucalyptus, Neem & Thorn Mimosa/Prickly Acacia/Prosopis juliflora
    4) Jambolan/Java Plum & Mango
    5) Banyan & Tamarind
    6) Some small farms of Alfa alfa, Mustard, Radish, Ridgegourd, Okra, Cucumber, Cauliflower, Bottle Gourd, Bitter Gourd, Brinjal, Spinach
    7) Catharanthus/Madagascar Periwinkle, Jasmine, Chinese honeysuckle/ Rangoon Creeper
    8) Euphorbia Milii & Pedilanthus Tithymaloides, Roses

I try my best to mention maximum tree/plants which grows in quantity.
    Waiting for reply.

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

some places of course are better than others and a lot of places will yield you NO HONEY and maintaining hives in such places in large numbers will be impossible.

an iskhan snip...
    6) Some small farms of Alfa alfa, Mustard, Radish, Ridgegourd, Okra, Cucumber, Cauliflower, Bottle Gourd, Bitter Gourd, Brinjal, Spinach

tecumseh:
    almost anywhere that alfalfa is grown will be a good area for honeybees. the primary requirements for a good honeybee area is fertile soil and adequate water in the form of rainfall.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

With all of the flora that you have listed I would venture to say YES. How many hives were you planning on starting with? With that much of a row crop plantings there should be other beekeepers in your area.

5. iskhan

iskhan New Member

Thanks every one for reply.

tecumseh:
    Jul,Aug & Sep are rain falling months. Now a days every where little flood type condition due to heavy rain.

G3farm:
    You already write my next question:smile: I am a lay man you suggest me what is minimum quantity for testing purpose?
    In my area not a single person who have honey bees. May be I am the first one.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

too much rain in too short a time period can also be a problem for honeybees. ideally you would wish for an even distribution of rainfall spread throughout the year.

there are also some diseases of bees associated with excessive rainfall or moisture in the form of fog.

7. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

How Many to start with?

I woudl suggest two, I in fact started this year with one so I have experience with this. I would also not recommend more than 4 for your first year.

There is a lot to learn and between figuring things out as the season goes along and having to many hives to manage it can get to be to much. The first year will be about learning. then you can start to try and build up. Every hive is different. So too many will just leave you confused.

I have just one strong hive and three small ones now. Sometimes I find it hard to keep up with just the one big one when I have to research the answers first.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Starting with 2 to 5 hives is the normal recommendation. Also, always have one spare, empty hive ready for a swarm or other unexpected bees. They will come.

Efmesh is in Israel, he may be better able to help with the local weather and terrain.

9. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

eucalyptus is supposed to be an excellent source of honey. Sounds like you have excellent foraging diversity for the bees. Areas of extensive monoculture can be poor because there is only one major nectar flow. That is not your case. I would be really surprised if no one in your area keeps bees. I didn't think anyone in my town has bees, but after a year of having mine, I have found several others. Local bee keepers will be your best source of information on things like how to deal with the monsoons.

10. jim314

jim314 New Member

My ideal starting point would be 3 hives iskhan, 2 at an absolute minimum. Different hives seem to have different personalities and problems, so you see more with more. By the way, welcome to the forum :)

11. iskhan

iskhan New Member

I saw different size of hives so what are the minimum quantity of bees?
    The trees/plants I mentioned my 1st email 90% are ever green but giving flower on there time.
    how can I know that now its time to sugar syrup and what is the recipe?

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip followed by my > comment....
    I saw different size of hives so what are the minimum quantity of bees? >a package of bees is 3# of bees and 1 queen... here these are fairly standard devices for stocking equipment. 3# of bees is about 10000 worker bees.

The trees/plants I mentioned my 1st email 90% are ever green but giving flower on there time. >all plants that flower do not necessarily produce nectar. long periods of no bloom require you to either leave feed resources (honey) or to feed.

how can I know that now its time to sugar syrup and what is the recipe? >in most southern locations 1 part sugar to 1 part water by weight works just fine. when you stock a new hive (see reference to package above) you need to feed these until they are 1 box of bees and the box should have some weight to insure you have feed resources inside the box. for older hives... I try to in some fashion to get some idea of weight. most times this is a matter of hefting the box to see how heavy 'it feels' and at other times I measure the weight directly (there are some photo in the photo section of this form on how I do this).

13. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Welcome to the forum.

You will get good advice here. Keep asking the questions and providing the information and you will be able to see the path ahead.

14. iskhan

iskhan New Member

tecumseh:
    Where is the reference:???:?
    tecumseh:
    Where is the photo section:???:?