Is it honey, or syrup?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by beebuzzed, Sep 27, 2015.

1. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

I thought the flow was done and thought my bees would not produce anymore. I had a plan of feeding, and cycling out new frames in a super in each hive I have just to have them ready for next year. It was working great. When they had them mostly drawn out I would pull them to swap for the next before they would start filling them. I was on my last set and I stopped feeding them for a week or two. I went to pull the supers off to prep for storage and find they were filling them up. They were not capped but seemed to be about cured, (at least passed the shake test). It also seemed to be pretty light in color which I didn't think it would be for this time of year. I decided to extract it to test my homemade extractor. I am concerned that it may not be pure honey. Could they have just relocated the syrup in them since I was not feeding them when they were storing it? I am more concerned because I was also adding honey b healthy, amino b booster, and vitamin b healthy. It has no fragrance from the healthy additives. I did taste it and it seems real sweet and light but does taste like honey just not a deep strong honey flavor. Any ideas anyone? It is my first year and I am in st.louis. This was happening in late September.

2. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Wow. I would be afraid to market it as honey. I would just use those frames to winter or early spring feed, and you'll still have the drawn comb. My experience has also been that fall flows are darker, stronger, and goldenrod smells like dirty socks.

But, all BKing is contextual. I'll be interested to hear more from your local peers.

How many frames are we talking about?

3. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

I cycled about 30 frames but only 10 had honey. Only a couple were loaded up pretty good. I would never sell it but curious for my own consumption. I'm gonna play it safe and just feed it back to them. I think its a mix of syrup and honey.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

fall stuff that is light and clear I just leave on for the bees, or freeze for the bees.