Is it time to manipulate hives?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Forcast is calling for 60's and 70's all of next week and sunshine. The week after that Spring begins on the calender.

The maples are just blooming. The bees are flying and bringing in red, yellow, and green pollen.

I've been wanting to switch out my hive config. to 2 deeps instead of 1 deep and 2 mediums. I also want to clean my bottom board and install more SHB traps. Is it time?
    Gentleman, light your smokers! lol

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Clean the bottom board and install traps, yes.

I would wait a bit before rearranging the frames.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if the boxes your are planning to remove are empty this might be a good opportunity for that. imho.... for a lot of northern beekeepers mucking about in the brood nest should be avoided till just a bit later.

tecumseh always keeps his coup (koo) stick handy and his smoker always lit.

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Too windy today even though we had 70 degree weather. Winds were 25-35 mph. I was wearing a black hat and black sweatshirt and went within 4 ft of one of my hives and got tagged on the temple and chased what seemed like a mile but probably 100 ft lol. Note to new beeks::: stay away on windy days and never wear black! Now I know why Johnny Cash wasn't a beekeeper lol. I should have known better. Sometimes you need to be set back a peg as my father used to say lol.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

hey we had 60F and windy and sunny here too- great weather and the bees were flying like mad despite the winds, and bringing in tons of pollen from ...somewhere!
    I was wearing black tights, lightweight black longsleeve shirt, black socks and black skirt with little purple flowers on it. A wool earflap Peruvian type hat. I hung around in front of the hives and took a video (which I'll post later). they didn't bother me at all. They never seem to care if I'm wearing black, and I wear black most days when tending bees.
    Maybe you should borrow my skirt. :wink:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well Omie if they would paint their hives with some of your magical green paint they would have no problem wearing black???

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Ahh! that's the secret. I've worn black out to the hives before and while they aren't as receptive to me as when I wear lighter colors they've never lit me up. I'm sure the wind had something to do with it. I forgive them........(little minions)....