Is it too late to move recently swarmed colony

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by buzzerb, May 8, 2011.

1. buzzerb

buzzerb New Member

One of my colonies swarmed Friday; probably about 48 hours ago.. I stumbled upon it [fortunately not physically] just as it was getting dark, the same day, with heavy thunder showers looming. I quickly got it into a brood box and covered it.

Is it now too late to move to its final site? It will be 48 hours at about 2200 hours tonight. We are planning to move it tonight, about 30 yards and put a lot of shrubbery etc at the entrance and re-orientate it to the sun.

Any experienced beekeeper's ideas out there much appreciated.

Time now 1725

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Your plan is fine. Continue on.

3. rast

rast New Member

I'd move them. May loose some back to where they are now, If a whole lot, spray them with a little sugar water, scoop them up and put them back in the box. The longer they set there the harder it will be. If you have an excluder, put it between the box and bottom board asap.

4. buzzerb

buzzerb New Member

:) Thanks everyone. my online research seemed to say it should be O.K. but just wanted to check.

Hi Rast, I have asked about putting an excluder in to prevent absconding to our local bee keepers but it has been suggested it makes 'em cross. Suppose a week won't hurt??

The mother of this Queen [the reason we are now beekeepers!] was given away as a swarm and was a rampant absconder so the excluder may be a very good thought. Or perhaps she just objected to the oxalic acid!!