Is it too late??

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Mama Beek, May 27, 2010.

1. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Today the kids were sitting here at dinner time and were telling their Daddy how they wished they had some more bees. To my total shock their Daddy looked at me and shrugged and said "guess you better get some bought for 'em honey". Is it too late in the year to get a new hive established??

For some reason missing a chunk of March here and then the whole month of April has totally disabled my ability to judge the season other than to know the month on the calendar :dontknow:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, unless you can find a full hive or two to purchase.

3. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

That's pretty much what I had figured. I don't think he realizes just how late in the year it is in bee time.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

without feeding or managing differently from spring splits I would agree.

this should suggest that given you know when a hive is 'brought on line' pretty much dictates how you 'should' manage a particular hive.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

even now if you could find bees and hive them in a 5 frame nuc witha second five frame nuc on top to grow into they will over winter. I have had very good luck wintering hives on a 5 on 5 configuration. I have picked up late swarms and put them on drawn comb and got them thru the winter

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have overwintered 'hives' here in every kind, size and shape of box. everything from medium singles to 5 frame deep and shallow nucs and yes even 5 frame baby nucs.

the smaller the unit the more attention to feeding that is required.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Very true. When I winter nucs in a 5 on 5 I like to have them in the bottom nuc and a complete 5 frames of stores above them

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

The kids made two nucs up early last week, by Thursday (I think) they put a second nuc box on, and by Saturday moved them into a 10 frame box! We'll be feeding them the rest of the year I'm sure but the kids seemed to think it was worth it and plan to do it again this week.

We found the book "50 years among the bees" by CC Miller and were reading his increase methods......now the kids are really feeling encouraged to give it a try, not to the same extent, but a couple of nucs at a time until the flow stops here.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

You know Mama Beek I am about to celebrate my own 50 years among the bees so last winter I read this classic myself for the first time. I now tell folks that the real lesson of that book is how many time CC admitted failing before he finally got it right. It is a good read for almost any beekeeper old or new.

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have the book in my bee library and it is a good read

11. beekeeper

beekeeper New Member

Haha funny stuff! :D I had the bug for some bugs but have to wait until next year.

12. riverrat

riverrat New Member

hey welcome aboard beekeeper to the forum. If you are wanting to start with bees next spring now is the time to start studying up. You couldnt have found a better forum full of information jump right in and join us you will find a whole community of people willing to share knowlege with each other. 50 years among the bees is a good read for anyone wanting to dive into beekeeping. as is a bunch of other books out there. I prefer to read the older ones that are more on the study of bees.

13. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I have the book in a pdf in my computer and will send it along to anyone who would like to have it.

Happy 50th with the bees Tec!! I'm sure you have loads of wonderful information stored up after such a time. :)

It's funny how people look at failure as just that, when in truth it is such a learning tool. Of course, learning from someone else's failure is always easier!

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I still have a lot to learn. Perhaps after another 50 years I will actually know something... likely I will just have more questions.

I suspect folks learn much more from their failures than they do from their successes. it does seem to be in the nature of folks that some give up after the first failure and for others failure just make them think and work harder. I guess this view drifts to my opinion than the measure of a person is not how many times they win or lose but if they pick themselves up after being knocked down.

15. old-dog

old-dog New Member

16. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

It's been sent, I hope you enjoy the read!