Is my colony slow?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Mosti, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Mosti

Mosti New Member

Allright...I hope

I have placed 3 frames from a nuc inside the hive 20 days ago. I made a check this afternoon. Queen laying, pollen, larvae and capped brood, all seems well. However they have only drawn almost 3 frame sides of comb yet. Is this normal pace or am I expecting too much?
    I am feeding my bees and they have wild thyme in flower+the odd caper.

What do yo think?

+

Another all too begginnnneeer question................I cannot identify the drones!!!!:oops::oops::oops:

2. Omie

Omie New Member

If you made a new hive from just 3 frames of bees and the rest was empty foundation, then it will take a while before the new hive gets big and strong. If you had started them with 5 or 6 frames of bees, they'd be further along now. Either way is ok as long as your queen is laying, but just might take them a while to build up if they start with fewer bees.

3. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

If all you have is a new 3 frame nuc, I doubt that you have any drones. Colonies only spend extra resources to produce drones when they are very well off and thriving. When you see one you'll know, because you will have first seen drone comb and then when you see drones they are like twice the size of worker bees and have huge eyes.

Drone Comb:
    beelesson-dronebrood.jpg

Drone:
    apis39-L.jpg

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Going from 3 to 5 frames takes longer than going from 6 to 10 frames.

Also, placing a 3 frame nuc in a hive, you should place an empty frame between 2 of the nuc frames. As soon as it is drawn, place another just inside the other outer drawn frame. Continue this until the last empty is inside drawn frames, then add another box.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

My two packaged hives are that slow...they have been working on four frames since April 1st! They are starting to make some progress though. I still may combine them before it's over...

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

On the right side of Dr. Buzz's picture, there are atleast 5 drone's on the frame see if you can find them.
    Barry

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I see some fattys over there in that corner, one facing 12 oclock, the other 3 with one above it pointing to 1.

8. kebee

kebee Active Member

Dave your packaged need some help, I installed mine on april 21 and one has a super drawed out plus the bottom hive box, had to add a super to the good one, now my second hive got the bottom hive filled and only 3 frams of the 8 frams pulled and I though they were slow, I have only 8 frams boxes though. Hope yours speed up a little, I may have a better flow than you do though.

kebee

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yeap, I am thinking about combining them. The swarms I caught this spring our doing great. I think the cold weeks in early April with warm days sprinkled in did not help matters....

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    I have placed 3 frames from a nuc inside the hive 20 days ago.

tecumseh:
    you are about 4 or 5 days away from the first eggs hatching into workers at the time you set this nuc into the hive body 20 days ago. all the growth of this hive over this period is absolutely predictable based on what the contents of the 3 frame 20 days ago. three solid frame of brood (20 days back) would now have grown significantly but 1 frame of brood and 2 frames of feed would likely have grown very little.

so what was the composition of those 3 frames 20 days ago.

and thus where you are now is likely directly connected to this 'initial condition' some 20 days ago.

another snip..
    or am I expecting too much?

tecumseh:
    if you are fairly new to this you likely don't really know what to expect? I would suggest to you that a hive often appears to grow in something that visually appears to be waves. that is.... one day you can look and a hive APPEARS to have grown very little and two days later you look and wonder where in the heck all those workers came from.

11. Omie

Omie New Member

12. Mosti

Mosti New Member

ok, got them.

13. Mosti

Mosti New Member

10x, very helpful.