Is my new TBH strong enough?

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by darrenct83, Jun 20, 2011.

1. darrenct83

darrenct83 New Member

Newbie questions here. I determined that 22" long TBH I originally built quickly to capture a swarm is definitely way too small. I am building a new longer hive that will accept the bars out of the old hive for an easy transfer. My hive appears to be similar to others I have seen, but from an engineering standpoint it just does not seem strong enough. I cringe to think of what will happen if there are 100 lbs of honey in here. Can the weight of the loaded bars pull hard enough on the sides to cause collapse? I am mostly concerned about the side I put the window on. The actual wood is not that thick over there. Can someone with some experience in these hives let me know what you think. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Not a top bar keeper, but you could scab on a 1 x 3 board the full length of the hive over the window. This will strengthen the area over the window, might have to make your top cover a bit wider though. Give some thought to putting a cover over the window to block out the light, bees do not like much light inside of the hive.

3. darrenct83

darrenct83 New Member

I was planning on covering the window with a very thin board that would sit in a channel. The channel would be cut in a board similar to what you described with the 1X3 board. I was going to use a cedar strip that I make the top bars out of instead of a 1X3. I could use something thicker for more support though. I just wonder if that is really needed. I know honey can get really heavy, but other hives built this way seem to hold up well. I would hate to see what happens if it does break though.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

There are two boards laying beside the hive in the pic. Lay them across the middle of the hive and stand on them. Bounce a few times. If it holds you, it will hold the honey. If not, back to the drawing board.

5. darrenct83

darrenct83 New Member

Problem solved... It's all in the stand.

Attached Files:

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

There ya go, just took a little thinking!

Looks good!

7. BeerDaddy

BeerDaddy New Member

I agree, it is all in the frame, my top bar uses two 1x1x1/4 angle iron stringers under the frame box and welded to the frame stand legs to support a 30 frame hive box.

Alot of weight, but no bowing out of the sides of the hive.

see the following picture:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/85 ... rside.jpg/

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is a pretty good looking hive you built there.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

TBH's are not my thing, but dang don't they look like they would be nice to work with. My back feels better just lookin at 'em! :lol:

Nice job. :thumbsup:

10. BeerDaddy

BeerDaddy New Member

Was the compliment for both our hives, i take a lot of pride in my welding and woodworking.

My hive materials was salvaged from a old barn and angle iron from the county recycle center, so i have about $50 in the entire hive.

The 4x4 inch tubing for the legs came from a county golf course bridge rebuild.

Should be strong and heavy enough to discourage theft!

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

for both of them.