Is there a flow on?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Unbelievably today my bees were flying like there was a major flow on. So much activity I wasn't sure whether one was robbing another, but they were definitely taking off and leaving the yard.

It is November 25th, and our high temperature today was 77. May be another warm winter. Does anyone in Texas know what is blooming? Goldenrod has pretty well gone to seed and died back, as has the yellow broom and asters.

Gypsi

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

:lol:
    the only flow on up here gypsi is SNOW......:lol:, sorry gypsi, couldn't resist the reply! 77 temp?!......i could only wish!

3. Gypsi

If we got snow my bees would know it was winter, lol.

We've had a couple of frosts - or should I say I have had a couple of frosts, being just about 2 miles outside the heat island of Fort Worth. Enough to kill my tomatoes through a blanket, but not enough to kill the goldenrod up by the gas station a mile and a half away. So after Goldenrod, what is the next flow? Because our alive and well goldenrod is going to seed. My bees either found a hive to rob out (more than one of my hives were very busy) or they found a flow.

Or someone put the yam pan outside their backdoor and they are filling up on brown sugar?

Waiting to hear from anyone in Texas???

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

I'm not seeing anything like a flow north of you, but I am seeing them going for pollen on the plants not completely dried up yet. If we had some rain, it might be different. I'm seeing bees more and more on the roses which makes me think their options are growing slim.

5. Lburou

Lburou Member

I'm thirty miles South of you Gypsi. In the low 80's here. Some hives quiet and some orientation flights today. No pollen. One small hive taking syrup still. :)

6. Gypsi

You may not be wishing much longer. Our first frost date was about October 22nd in 1988. It is now November 22nd and the metropolitan areas still haven't had a frost. Warm is moving north...

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Gypsi, Maybe they're bringing in Broom? I don't really know what my girls are bringing in, but I checked today and have a full super on each hive. Going to be taking some frames out and replace with empties.

Temp here got down to 39 one night; it's 80 now. I'm close to Waco (short for Way Cool). Have to go back to work tomorrow...temp is supposed to top out in the mid 60's. Back up near 80 for the weekend when I next plan to play with the girls.

Walt

Walt

8. Lburou

Lburou Member

How much honey do you leave for a typical winter? I am told four deep frames on a single body colony in the Glen Rose area....Is that really enough? My first year in North Texas. :)

9. Walt B

Walt B New Member

The last couple of years each hive has had 2 deeps. It's worked for me, but I'm adding a little insurance this year. We get down to freezing a couple of times a year, so the bees are flying most of the winter. I look at the local weather, and we're usually 5-8 degrees warmer than they report. Think we're built on a radioactive dump. :shock:

Maybe someone who knows what they're doing can add some information...I just pretend. :smile:

Walt