Is there a technique, not to control numbers but eliminate

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by barry42001, Oct 21, 2011.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

entirely SHB, I am not wanting to have to continuely fight a losing battle with numbers, want to destroy the beatles entirely and of course not kill the bees as well
    Barry :confused:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Re: Is there a technique, not to control numbers but elimina

If you find one, I'll help you market it and we both will have more money then Warren Buffet.

3. Crofter

Crofter New Member

So far it is only into one county in Ontario and there is a quarantine in effect. I am about 300 miles north of that so may not have to deal with it for a while.

What is the expression about the difficulty of killing only some of the bugs in a box of human food without killing any of the bugs you want to keep or poisoning the human food in the box.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

once a pest is here some bee keeper seem to learn to live with the new pest. with shb there could be any number of things you might do to reduce the population to manageable levels. perhaps fills us in on what your 'situation' is and what you are currently doing. I would guess your infestation of shb must be pretty severe?

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

was from a failed cutout--cutout was severely infested took the honey which was loaded with larvae--hundreds of them, I salvaged the honey but figured that the feral bees were on borrowed time with dozens of beatles all over. --have no intention of seeing hives like that. What I have been doing is maintaining large bee populations, double brood boxes letting the bees keep what stored in upper brood box after harvesting the supers( usually I let them keep anything after august )

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

More money than Warren Buffet??? Iddee, i don't think there would be that many beekeepers to sell your product to for that kind of money. :lol: Jack

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

so the problem is more with cut out than any existing hives you operate?

in the past I have seen the same problem here and after discussing the problem casually with Flyman. based upon our conversation 'we' (I think it was more Flyman's take than mine) decided that the only solution to this kind of problem when you rip bees out of an existing place at the peak of the shb season is to take the bees off and look at them like a package of bees that you need to start up again from nothing.

I don't really do any take out now but when I did I became fairly convinced that any comb or honey being cut out was like making a perfect niche for the small hive beetle. the process just encourage their numbers (or that is how it appeared to me).

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

A club member who has a approved honey house, was extracting supers for $5.00 each for club members, she didn't have shb,but does now. New members that didn't have a extracter or didn't have time would bring there supers and stack them in her honey house while she was at work. Well she was soon over run with shb,she no longer does extracting for beeks and is sorry she ever started it. She runs between 70 to 100 hives of her own, our club has 2 extracters that we loan for free, so now members are on there own. Just thought i would warn beeks that was thinking about doing extracting for profit. :shock: Jack

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With 70 to 100 hives in the area and the other beeks had them, she would have them shortly anyway. She might as well keep making the money extracting. The only difference it made was when and how, not IF.

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

She is also our club secretary,i must say she is a go getter. She sells nuc's in the spring and honey in the fall, hunts and fishes, process and packages her own game,plus a full time UPS driver.If any club member needs help just give her a call.She liked extracting for otheres (the money and the visits) but couldn't believe how many shb were in some of those supers and told me she worried about what else she may be exposing her bees and equipment to.After spending over $10,000 for a honey house (up to health dept. standards) so she can sell honey from health food stores, i can't say i blame her. Jack

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't blame her, either. In fact, I think she did the right thing. I just wouldn't blame the SHB. They would have gotten there anyway.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

iddee writes:
    With 70 to 100 hives in the area and the other beeks had them, she would have them shortly anyway. She might as well keep making the money extracting. The only difference it made was when and how, not IF.

tecumseh:
    she likely would have eventually had shb but not necessarily an infestation in the honey house... another kind of problem with remedies if people are somewhat careful. with super left for any period of time in a honey house without remedies a real possible breeding ground for shb.

13. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Does anyone have experience with the product called CheckMite? According to the Mann Lake catalog it's supposed to be effective for varroa mites and SHBs.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Check-mite is standard use in Israel. It's the only miticide that the varroa haven't developed an immunity to yet. But remember--it's a poison and should NEVER be in the hive while bees are collecting honey that is intended for human consumption. Because we are a small country, we try to coordinate applying Check-Mite at the same time throughout the country as a means of preventing/reducing re-infestation of clean hives from those that still have mites. It is usually left in the hive for at least 6 weeks.
    Some research has found that queens raised in hives with check-mite or check-mite residues (it gets absorbed into the wax) do not develop into as good layers as queens raised in a check-mite free environment. This creates a problem of keeping separate frames free of residues--removing frames from treated hives when you want to raise queens.
    I've never experienced the reports of bee deaths told about in the link given by Iddee. I think that the bees that died succumbed to damage from the varroa and not the check-mite.

16. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Thanks for the link, Iddee, but I think we're talking about 2 different products.

As I understand it, Mite-away-quick strips aren't approved for use in all states (my information may be outdated). I was asking about "Check-mite"

The reason for my question is that I inherited a hive from a gentleman who is no longer able to care for the bees. (Stroke victim)

After I re-assembled the hive (the bottom board was rotten and fell apart) I brought it home, and put it at the other end of the property. It has shb. I was wondering about the product Check-mite, the ad states that it is effective against verroa and shb.

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

gunsmith.... some folks that transport bees across state line place these (the hive I saw used one strip) in the bottom (under a square bit of plastic... I seem to recall) and this essentially acts as a pest strip for the shb. the one fellow I know who used them (they had bees going in and out of California where the Ag inspection guys can be a bit picky) said they were quite effective against the shb.

in your case the rotting equipment may be a large part of the problem. I have concluded that if you build a niche for the shb they will show up and fill that niche. so don't be surprised if you have rotting hive furniture then you will also likely have shb in great numbers.

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sorry........

19. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Thanks for the info.

20. Zulu

Zulu Member

Not according to their website , they say they have Federal approval and all 50 states are approved now for MAQS...