Is this normal?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by RE Jones, Aug 20, 2012.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Went in to one of my langs this weekend, it has two supers on it.
    When I pulled the first super off, there was "burr" comb between four of the frames and they were full of honey. Needless to say, there was a mess when I pulled the top super as I broke all of this comb and honey went everywhere. These combs were built all the way across the frames on four of them and partially on two more.

Anything I can do to prevent this in the future?
    Thanks, Robert

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Bees will build burr comb on the top bars between supers, they will fill it full of honey or drone brood. To me this is normal especially if the space between the supers are over 3/8 of an inch,( like on some of my home made hives) the bees will clean the mess up very quickly. Jack

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Bee space and the width and length of a worker bee. those are the tools the bees use in their hive building. Your frame center to center need to be the length of 2 bees (just emerged) and the space between them so bees can pass but still reach the next frame. 1 3/8 in min to 1 1/2 max. Any more or less and you get burcomb. the exception is if the combs are going to be used for honey the combs can be spaced out more providing the combs are drawn out the bees will extend the cells and will cap them while still maintaining the bee space in between. for best results when drawing out comb don't use frame spacers. and push the frames together.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

as jack said, normal robert....
    i use 8 frame supers and this year seemed to be the year the girls have been busy propolizing everything, and building burr comb.....

"Anything I can do to prevent this in the future?"

let us all know if you figure out how to stop the girls from building burr comb :lol: