Is this okay behavior?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rw02kr43, Jun 20, 2012.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

I went out tonight. It's 9:30pm and kind of dark. This is what the bees are doing. Are they telling me that they hate me or is this okay?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jason

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They're relaxing on the front porch. They're mad at you because you didn't bring beer and pretzels.

3. Marbees

Marbees Member

It' OK, they like you:smile:

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

They are just enjoying the evening :)

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

They're asking you to open the door wider. :grin:

6. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

Really? Cause it was much smaller than that and I made it wider yesterday. Should I just go ahead and open it all the way up?

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I don't know the strength of the family nor the intensity of the honey flow you're having, but I would say open it at least half way and see how they respond. Are they crowded and bumping into each other at the entrance? [Don't mistake the guard bees examination of the entering bees for "bumping".]

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When you open the hive, are the bees covering all frames? If so, I would remove it totally.

9. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

I just got this nuc last saturday. There are 10 frames in the hive and only 4 were in the nuc. so 6 were empty. Just foundation. I haven't looked in the hive since Saturday. I'm planning to look this saturday. The bees at the entrance were all crawling over each other. I thought it was just guard bees, but last evening was the first time I ever saw this.

Jason

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would make it larger but I wouldn't remove it altogether. A 4 frame nuc will have some growing to do and a large entrance (wide open) would be difficult for them to defend. Try a third open or maybe half open.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

In that case, I would make the entrance as wide as 4 frames, approx. Then add to as they expand.

12. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

My entrance reducer only has 2 holes. It's also about a 1/4 inch too short. So, even on it's smallest hole, it still has another hole on the end. Blarg.

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It's tempting to be a fancy beekeeper and use the good looking commercial entrance blocks, but just as effective are simple sticks of wood of your chosen length, that fit into the entrance. One stick will give you an entrance on the side, cut it in half and you can have your entrance in the middle (better for esthetics :lol:).

14. pturley

pturley New Member

What is an entrance reducer??? (Just kidding.)

Like efmesch, I just use whatever is available. Earlier this spring I used cut-off wood from my burn bin (a couple 2x4 blocks) to protect the weaker of my two hives at the time.

Bricks work well too.