Is this Scout bees?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by jmblakeney, Mar 25, 2012.

1. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It could be scouts. Is there anything of value left in the old frames or comb you put in the trap, any honey or pollen? If there was anything in them these could simply be robbers. Have a peek inside in a few days. If they're scouts, they'll be making their mind up before too long. :beg::thumbsup: Fingers crossed for ya.

3. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

I checked in it tonight after dark. I check throught the entrance to see if there was anything in there. I didn't see anything so I went ahead and lifted the lid. Nothing in there. I looked at the frame of old brood comb. Nothing in it except some, what looked like, dried up sugar syrup. (dry sugar in cells) It had some honey along the upper edge of the frame when I put in it there about a month ago. Nothing now though. There has always been very slow activity in and out of the nuc since I put it out there. But today there was just something different.

Thanks,
    James

4. Jacobs

Jacobs New Member

The behavior looks very similar to what was going on with a swarm trap I had about 6 feet up in a Dogwood. For about 2 days 15-20 bees would be going side to side in the front as if orienting to the trap. They would walk in and then come back out. They did not fly away immediately and purposefully like when robbing out comb and going back home. Early evening of the 2nd day, I came home from work to find a swarm in the box.

I put a smaller box in the same location (what I had available that would fit the tree branches) and saw the same kind of activity this past weekend. On Saturday, when the stormy weather broke for just a little bit, one of my strongest hives had swarmed. It was far too large a swarm for the trap, and my guess is that they scouted and rejected it. They were nice enough to stay low and easy to retrieve. I'm going to keep looking and learning, but your video looked like scouts to me. I hope that is what is going on with your trap and that the bees decide to move in.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Maybe a couple drops of lemongrass oil on a cotton ball if you haven't already done so. It might "tip" the scales of their judgement in favour of this trap! :wink: