Is this the work of a laying worker?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, May 16, 2013.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Posted for a friend:

I see alot of eggs but they seem to be in the bottoms/back wall of the cells

laying worker.jpg

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

There's too many of them, and many are laying down, not standing on end. The comb also looks new and not at full depth. I say laying worker.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I agree with Iddee. There are just way too many eggs. Sometimes new queens can lay multiple eggs for a few days till they get sorted out, but that is one heap of eggs.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I vote laying worker.

5. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Great picture...whoever took it!!

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

A starting queen may lay more than one egg in a few cells till she gets the hang of it, but not that many in so many cells. I join in the verdict of the previous posters: the photo is of the activity of laying workers. :frustrated:

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

exactly what efmesch said...

8. melrose

melrose New Member

Question now is what is wrong with your queen and/or do you still have a queen.

9. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

my question is, if a queen can figure out how to lay one egg at a time. why doesn't a laying worker? I understand that the placement of the egg is hindered because of the lack of a long abdomen, but why so many?

10. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Not my queen.....friends queen....I would say she doesn't exist.

11. 2Rist

2Rist New Member

I had that. If the queen in the hive. It can not be activity of laying workers!!! When the young queen is just beginning to sow the eggs, with a few working bees. It happens. Then working bees throw out unnecessary eggs. If the queen is missing it's 100% activity of laying workers!!!

12. 2Rist

2Rist New Member

Yes it's 100% activity of laying workers!!! Because a queen never sow eggs on the cell wall, like on your photo.

13. 2Rist

2Rist New Member

As is known, the worker bees are females with underdeveloped sexual organs and are therefore unable to lay eggs.
    The queen while moving the oviduct to the egg it gets some sperm, one of which fertilizes the egg.
    Many because sows than one worker bee it's 50-100 working bees, and yep placement of the egg is hindered because of the lack of a long abdomen)))

14. Dbure

Dbure New Member

What should one do if this is a layng worker? If the queen is missing, will introducing another one make the worker stop laying?

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The best remedy for a laying worker hive it to shake all the bees out on the ground and take the empty hive to the house. Save it for a swarm.

16. Dbure

Dbure New Member

So if a laying worker's egg can not be raised into a queen then the bees in the colony would eventually die out right? And if the average lifespan of the laying worker runs out wouldn't the laying stop? Could you not wait until after a certain number of days then and introduce a queen?

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You could have several laying workers in the hive at one time. Installing a frame of eggs in hopes they will raise a new queen can work on the first frame or the tenth frame or not at all. With a laying worker the population will start to dwindle down

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Laying workers don't fly out to collect honey or pollen and therefore, if you shake off all the bees outside and away from the hive, the workers will find their way back home but the layers won't. If you replace a frame of laying workers' eggs with one of eggs and young brood from a queen-right colony into the hive, you can get the hive to raise its' own new queen without the laying workers interfering with the process. Adding brood about to emerge and young brood with it at the same time increases the chances for successfully "re-activating" the otherwise "lost" hive.

19. 2Rist

2Rist New Member

After the to shake all the bees out on the ground sprinkle a little salt water in the brood. And then give this frame to a normal family.(They will clean) Take from the normal bee family open brood. (1 frame enough) And give it for the laying worker. They will bring up the brood, and will make a queen - semya-vospitatelnica.jpg

20. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

How about this one for another friend?

laying worker sus.jpg